katit

Yet another which machine to buy topic

Visited local Nick-O store. They have used 206RB-5 with "Tokyo, Japan" on badge, I guess they made some of those in Japan? Looks very decent cosmetically (no scratches on machine, like new) .. They want $1000 and it's got older 1/2hp servo

You should totally buy a machine from a local store if you can. They'll be happy to provide service and parts. The early Consew 206RB-5 and previous 206RB-1/2/3/4 models were Seiko machines. Later, Consew quietly switched the 206RB-5 to a Chinese clone supplier.

Edited by Uwe

19 minutes ago, Uwe said:

You should totally buy a machine from a local store if you can. They'll be happy to provide service and parts. The early Consew 206RB-5 and previous 206RB-1/2/3/4 models were Seiko machines. Later, Consew quietly switched the 206RB-5 to a Chinese clone supplier.

Do you know approximately what time 206RB-5 manufacture started? Just trying to estimate age..

Also, I asked to show how slow machine can go and also motor controllable - it had trouble starting through thick fabric on lowest speeds because of lack of torque. I assume speed reducer still needed. Or is there newer servo motors which will start and go slow through automotive leather? I know if I go with this machine some upgrade will be needed, just not sure what is the best way

Another question about 206RB

On this video around 1:16 he talks about stich len and reverse. I wonder how people deal with issue of non-equal reverse stitches? I guess you adjust machine for spefic stitch size so they equal in reverse?

A 2” pulley or 50mm on the servo is needed for the best slow speed “ without a reducer setup”. 

Some now days come with a 60mm and list no smaller option. Older models I have and as many others pursued this option just for this slow speed advantage.  As you know it also adds a small amount of torque. 

I think its best if you can see the machine perform through some stitch selections prior to purchase. In some textiles we can use more stitch if wanted but vinyl and leather I think we need a bit more spacing between holes. 

Everyones different in their projects, 5 or 7 stitches per inch is ok for me. But this is totaly dependent on project.

Good day

Floyd

2 hours ago, katit said:

Another question about 206RB

On this video around 1:16 he talks about stich len and reverse. I wonder how people deal with issue of non-equal reverse stitches? I guess you adjust machine for spefic stitch size so they equal in reverse?

It needs to be timed

1 hour ago, AdamPCain said:

It needs to be timed

Adam,

I'm sorry not sure I understand. Do you mean machine in video need to be timed/wrongly setup? Or do you mean that it's correct that for each stich size reverse stitch size need to be adjusted?

If the machine is adjusted correctly the reverse stitch will always be correct regardless of the stitch length selected.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Uwe said:

Well.. It's been a while but I still don't have a machine. They never come through to my emails, now I can't even get a hold of Nick. That machine sold now :)

Home improvements got me sidetracked from hobbies, now I'm back.

Found 2 more machines. Both with table/servo motor.

Consew 206RB-5

Pfaff 1245

Price difference is negligible. Both in about the same condition. Both China made (is PFAFF made in china??) I don't know exact pfaff model and I wonder why it doesn't have logo on machine?

Any of those look good or still should look for something not made in China?

Pfaff.JPG

That machine is a clone of a 1245.  It is not a genuine Pfaff.  Good copy though at least in appearance.   Chinese have done a very good job in a lot of cases of copying  PROVEN genuine machines.  Only test is to sew on it and see how it feels and sews.   the real test is the tolerances and the steel they used in making it.  Genuine Pfaff's are some of the smoothest machines out there even over Adler and Juki's. I have owned a few of each and just bought a new D/A 669 which is a beast.

glenn

3 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

That machine is a clone of a 1245.  It is not a genuine Pfaff.  Good copy though at least in appearance.   Chinese have done a very good job in a lot of cases of copying  PROVEN genuine machines.  Only test is to sew on it and see how it feels and sews.   the real test is the tolerances and the steel they used in making it.  Genuine Pfaff's are some of the smoothest machines out there even over Adler and Juki's. I have owned a few of each and just bought a new D/A 669 which is a beast.

glenn

Glenn, are you sure? Maybe it's some "special order"? Because sticker on a bottom if you make pic little bigger says PFAFF... something on a top

This is an original Pfaff 1245.  looks like a clone to me. tried to zoom in on the picture you uploaded but cant make out the sticker clearly.

See the source image

Here is 2 more pics from seller. He says it is original

But it says Germany and he said China made?

back.jpg

label.jpg

I would take the red label pfaff and get some thread. 

Good day

Floyd

I believe that the CE mark indicates "China Export". Perhaps, as happens quite frequently these days, Pfaff designs the machines in Germany (where its headquarters are) but has them manufactured in China. That would explain how it's a German machine made in China.

That's not to knock on Pfaff machines, they have a great reputation, though I've never used one.

From what I gathered all new PFAFF machines made in China. Of course I might be wrong but.. My rationale is that since they keep prices up and since China definitely capable of producing quality stuff - chances are this machine is just as good. At least for my use case.

1 hour ago, katit said:

Here is 2 more pics from seller. He says it is original

But it says Germany and he said China made?

label.jpg

The CE Mark is actually the European equivalent of UL in the USA.  Means the product complies with CE standards.

Gary

CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area. The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that are manufactured in, or designed to be sold in, the EEA.

26 minutes ago, garypl said:

The CE Mark is actually the European equivalent of UL in the USA.  Means the product complies with CE standards.

There are two CE marks. One indicates as you say. The other, which is almost identical apart from the spacing, is used arbitrarily by certain Chinese manufacturers whose products do not meet, let alone have been certified as meeting, the relevant EU regulations. Their motivation for doing so can only be conjectured but I have my suspicions.

Pfaff is a respectable brand and I trust that their CE certification is genuine. Having now reminded myself the distinction between the genuine marks and the suspect ones I'll retract my previous comment; the CE mark on that machine sticker does not indicate that it's Chinese-made.

I agree, that label doesn't indicate it was actually made in Germany. I can't help wondering why that label is damaged so much?

I am wrong.  It is a Pfaff.  I just did not see any Pfaff logos or labels and I know that machine has been knocked off in clones.  A Pfaff even made in China is a good machine!!!!

glenn

That machine was probably made in China.  The older Pfaff machines will say made in Germany.   The newer ones do not say made in Germany.   Still, a very good machine.  Label seems to be beat up which could come from the handling of the machine.  Head looks good otherwise and it is a Pfaff.

glenn

Well. I am buying this machine next week. Will post more info if it works out

Finally it happened!! I got my first sewing machine. Not first walking foot, not first industrial. But first sewing machine!

Machine seem to work just fine. Smooth, servo motor can be controlled pretty good. I was able to sit down in a store and do some sewing just like I wanted, first time in my life :)

Machine looks more dirty than on picture, of course. Any suggestions on how to get it cleaned up really good (those paint wrinkles?)

Very excited. Now need to get some thread and start practicing..