SheepdogL

Troublesome Boss

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so please tell me if I'm in error, I'm a new member.

I've been working for three years at a leather and shoe repair shop in my town. My boss used to be my Sunday school teacher years ago, I currently am under his instruction at a karate studio (and have been for six years), and as I mentioned I've worked for him for three years. You can see our lives are very intertwined in different ways.

He's been causing me a lot of stress the past for months or so. Little things such as repetitive music in the shop or keep it high temperatures inside year round, but what's gotten to me as of a few days ago is that he excited me by mentioning that he wants me to start making sandals. There's no one I know of within 300 miles of here that makes custom shoes like that and I was extremely happy at the suggestion...until he told me he wants me to make the pattern, cut the material, and build the first pair all on my own time AND have me pay him for the material cost of that pair. Granted, I keep the pair, but it was his suggestion to make a pair for myself as "practice so that you can learn how to do it and start making them for the shop".

I don't know if I'm just being a pansy about this or if my agitation is justified, but I feel that making me learn something on my own time and with my own money to further HIS shop just isn't fair. My coworker agrees that our boss could be considered greedy and that a lot of his expectations are ridiculous or warped. 

I've thought theoufh my options and I only have a few. I could just suck it up and do it, I could tell him no and leave it at that, or I could tell him yes but only if he gives me a percentage of each sale of the pairs that I myself make or if I get a raise (three years and I still work min wage in a job that not many people can do)

Again, I apologise if this was the wrong area of the form to ask advice on this, I just need more than two other perspectives on this and what I should do.

Since you continue to have a relationship with him, just tell him you are not ready for such a project. Your mental health is worth more than any paycheck, and it sounds like you would be suffering more that this project is worth, either to you or to him, so just let it go.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I agree with LatigoAmigo let it go otherwise it will eat you up inside, life is to short. However if making a pair is something that you would like to try at some point, do it by and for yourself but follow the 3 "S" rule.

kgg+

19 hours ago, kgg said:

.....do it by and for yourself but follow the 3 "S" rule.

kgg+

I have to ask, what is the 3 "S" rule?

To SheepdogL, have you talked to him about a raise? Have you thought about finding a different job? You may enjoy working leather, but you can do that at home for yourself. Being stuck in a job that causes mental stress isn't worth it in my opinion.  Stress like that can cause other health problems to arise. There are probably other dojos in the area as well. 

I'm guessing you are a younger person, talk to your parents about it and get their advice too.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best.

Rob

Shoot, Shovel, Shutup

8 hours ago, Railrider1920 said:

I have to ask, what is the 3 "S" rule?

To SheepdogL, have you talked to him about a raise? Have you thought about finding a different job? You may enjoy working leather, but you can do that at home for yourself. Being stuck in a job that causes mental stress isn't worth it in my opinion.  Stress like that can cause other health problems to arise. There are probably other dojos in the area as well. 

I'm guessing you are a younger person, talk to your parents about it and get their advice too.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you the best.

Rob

I actually don't have the space or ability to invest in the tools and such since I'm currently in college. And yes, I'm 18 so younger than most in the trade, I'd bet, but still I have three years under my belt so far. I have considered getting a new job, but there isn't much around here I'd be interested in. I know I have to do things I don't want to get what I do want, even if that means having to work a drive through, but I'm trying to stick with a trade of some sort. I do know of a few welders around here and some mechanics so I may possibly look into those options. We had a gunsmith, but I believe he's closing.

Right or wrong, your boss probably thinks that your apprenticeship and the knowledge you have gained and will continue to gain has a monetary value, hence the minimum wage all this time.  If you have progressed to the point that he would not hesitate to put his name or mark on your work, then you probably have progressed well and maybe, just maybe the value of your apprenticeship  (to you) is starting to diminish.  If that is a fact it may be time to strike out on your own.

Regarding making the sample shoes at your expense, that would indicate that perhaps he's not 100% on board  with the ultimate value of the project, and at least to him is questionable, and he may have agreed reluctantly.  I believe, if you can gracefully back out or just let it die, that might be the best.  On the other hand, if he is really honestly interested, then I think the sample pair, even at your expense, might be a good idea.  Keep in mind, it is not unusual for a company or business to claim any patterns etc. developed at the company on company time are indeed the property of the company.  Unless you are willing tom accept this set of circumstances, I think you'd do well to just not pursue it.

Paul

11 minutes ago, sheathmaker said:

Right or wrong, your boss probably thinks that your apprenticeship and the knowledge you have gained and will continue to gain has a monetary value, hence the minimum wage all this time.  If you have progressed to the point that he would not hesitate to put his name or mark on your work, then you probably have progressed well and maybe, just maybe the value of your apprenticeship  (to you) is starting to diminish.  If that is a fact it may be time to strike out on your own.

Regarding making the sample shoes at your expense, that would indicate that perhaps he's not 100% on board  with the ultimate value of the project, and at least to him is questionable, and he may have agreed reluctantly.  I believe, if you can gracefully back out or just let it die, that might be the best.  On the other hand, if he is really honestly interested, then I think the sample pair, even at your expense, might be a good idea.  Keep in mind, it is not unusual for a company or business to claim any patterns etc. developed at the company on company time are indeed the property of the company.  Unless you are willing tom accept this set of circumstances, I think you'd do well to just not pursue it.

Paul

my co worker, who has already made clear that he doesn't want to make this his career, has only been here a few months more than me and is making over minimum. Also, the sandals were my boss' idea in the first place

Ignoring all the other issues involved. If the Boss looks around and sees an opportunity to make an improvement, but can't make said improvement himself. The first place to look outside of himself is the most qualified person working on his team.

Take it as a compliment.

If you want to make yourself a pair of shoes at the expense of your own time, materials and energy, do so. Your success would certainly be a feather in your cap. Both personally and professionally. 

But I would be "damned" if I ever made a pair for his shop without a significant raise or percentage of profits.  I hope you find your inner peace what ever you decide to do. Go well Sir.     

I wasn't trying to be rude brining up your age. If it came across that way, my apologies. 

I wasn't thinking about your job possibly being an apprenticeship or even a step in the direction of a career. I was thinking it was just a job and about jobs I've had that I didn't like. I do wish you the best.

4 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Ignoring all the other issues involved. If the Boss looks around and sees an opportunity to make an improvement, but can't make said improvement himself. The first place to look outside of himself is the most qualified person working on his team.

Take it as a compliment.

If you want to make yourself a pair of shoes at the expense of your own time, materials and energy, do so. Your success would certainly be a feather in your cap. Both personally and professionally. 

But I would be "damned" if I ever made a pair for his shop without a significant raise or percentage of profits.  I hope you find your inner peace what ever you decide to do. Go well Sir.     

I think this is a great post and one you should consider

If you make the shoes to your design and they sell then that's a big feather in your cap and will teach you some skills along the way like how to produce a item in quantity rather than a singular item, pricing and also how well they wear.

You can use this knowledge at a later date to make similar items if you go it alone for either a hobby or full time

Two words of advice, check your contract of employment to see if designs made whilst working at the company are the companies property or not, hopefully nothing will be in the contract. Next  do whats necessary to copy-write the design in your country without notifying anyone, this will give you limited design protection should you leave the firm

Salary is always a problem to the young, but when you ask for a raise just point out all the reasons you feel justifies the raise, dont just say "please can i have a raise in my money" as they will say why or no

Good luck and keep thinking that whilst your learning you are increasing your skills

A few years back, I ran across the design used for the Roman soldier of old sandals.

It is a pretty ingenious design, . . .  sole, . . . middle sole which actually becomes the sides of the sandals, . . . and insole where the feet actually stand in the sandals.

Take a gander out on the internet, . . . I'm sure you can find it as well, . . . modify that design and make a pair.

My pair used up about 5 square feet of veggie tan 7/8 leather, . . . are very comfortable, . . . and have a very distinctive look about them.

There are any number of modifications could be made to them to make them "yours", . . .  and might be worth while as a personal investment.

Actually the hardest part of the whole thing was having to hand sew the seam up  the back of the heel, . . . as I hate hand sewing.  I contact cemented all three pieces together, . . . took em to my Tippmann Boss, . . . voila, . . . sandals.

May God bless,

Dwight

photo15b.jpg

caligae 1 roman sandals.jpg

caligae 2 roman sandals.jpg

Edited by Dwight