I've taken the leap to commit to making leatherwork my full-time gig. The first major step was to learn how to make saddles (just western for now)

Finished saddle making school with Pete Harry from Pembroke, KY at the beginning of the month. Now that I'm back, I've opened up my business to building western saddles and do saddle repairs (in addition to all the other things I've made over the years). 

Now to get TLLeatherworks (Tree of Life Leatherworks) out there in social media. Already got a few repair jobs in :) 

First Saddle - front.jpg

First Saddle - front-near-side.jpg

First Saddle - Near-side.jpg

First Saddle - rear.jpg

That is great. Hope your business takes with a booming start.  

Well done and may your business give you a good ride!

Edited by plinkercases

As a long time (I'm 75) user and maker I can assure that no one will like that pinked cantle binding for very long as the little points will soon curl up and poke in front and scrape in back. Learned the hard way. It looks like a good idea but soon backfires

Lovely work but i think you need work on the edges as they look like just cut and left

I can't comment on the technical aspects of saddle building or repairs, but do like the combination of colours and the clean lines. Years, nay - decades - since I last sat in a saddle, and 'twas an "English saddle" at that.

5 hours ago, oltoot said:

As a long time (I'm 75) user and maker I can assure that no one will like that pinked cantle binding for very long as the little points will soon curl up and poke in front and scrape in back. Learned the hard way. It looks like a good idea but soon backfires

Thanks for the heads up! Do you prefer to make a straight edge? (well.. I guess I don't really mean straight but I hope you get my meaning)

Trimmed after sewing with rawhide and fitted front and trimmed back with leather

IMHO,

the only reasonable way to install a scalloped rawhide binding is to brad each scallop and then live with the work until it's cured.  Other than that, it will lift and the sharp/hard edges will remind you that they're there every time you ride.  You might want to consider twisting and setting the stirrups.  I know there aren't many cowboys in Ohio that will spend the better part of a day in the saddle, but even a couple of hours can make a BIG difference.