blink1688

Best thread to resist UV and abbrasion?

I have an Antarés close contact saddle I've been asked to repair. In short, I'm trying to identify the best thread for the job. I need something tha's very resistant to UV and is extremely abrasion resistant. What do you recommend?

There was a wonderful reference page that compared characteristics of thread types I thought I found on this site ages ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in relocating it. If you know what I'm talking about, any idea where to find it?

More context: The owner doesn't want to have the whole seat replaced but asked for me to repair a tear on the edge where it is sewn to the jockeys and the rider's thigh rests.

17 hours ago, blink1688 said:

I have an Antarés close contact saddle I've been asked to repair. In short, I'm trying to identify the best thread for the job. I need something tha's very resistant to UV and is extremely abrasion resistant. What do you recommend?

There was a wonderful reference page that compared characteristics of thread types I thought I found on this site ages ago. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in relocating it. If you know what I'm talking about, any idea where to find it?

More context: The owner doesn't want to have the whole seat replaced but asked for me to repair a tear on the edge where it is sewn to the jockeys and the rider's thigh rests.

Try this thread

Tom

39 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Try this thread

Thank you! Not quite what I'm looking for but it's definitely useful information -- bookmarking that one :)

Gonna be on this quest until I find what I'm looking for but I'll share what I find as I find it in this thread:

Best repository of info I've found so far:

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Information

If I can't find the summary chart I know I've seen in the past somewhere, I might be able to make a general guide from this site.

Edited by blink1688

Do you have a picture of the area needing repair? Poly is long known to be more UV resistant than nylon.  I have yet, however, in my years in business to see any equine equipment sewn with nylon thread fail due to deterioration of the thread from UV exposure.  I've seen equipment sewn with nylon thread that was too light for the purpose, and fail for that reason.  The reason I ask to see the area needing repair, is sometimes people expect us to perform a repair that sounds good to them, but in reality, will not hold up under even moderate use.  Also, if it is under the rider's thigh when mounted, is UV resistance really all that important?

35 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Do you have a picture of the area needing repair?

Sure, here you go.

Owner specified she didn't care about aesthetics very much on this piece, just wants to make sure it's functional and gave me liberty to experiment a little. (I still intend to make it look as good as I can though). The near-side has been worn and is ready to tear in a similar way so I will be doing the same thing to both sides.

The stitching shown is a test to make sure it pulls the tear together well, pulls on the strip of reinforcement leather without creating lumps in the seat, and does a good job covering it up at the same time (6-cord Barbour's I waxed with beeswax). I'll cutting the test stitching out, of course. Whatever I end up using, I'm going to make sure the color I use matches the leather more closely. I was contemplating the idea of working a thin piece of leather in and out under-over the threads to better protect some of the stitching.

The stitch on the topside looks like this:      ||  X  ||  X  || 
The stitch on the underside looks like this:  |||     |||     |||

35 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

is UV resistance really all that important?

Not as important as abrasion resistance. My concern about UV resistance is probably just 'new-guy-trying-to-do-the-best-job-he-can paranoia' lol

Overall repair.jpg

Test stitch.jpg

Edited by blink1688

Thank you for the pictures.  That is what I had envisioned, only worse.  I would tell her the saddle needs a new seat, and personally, I don't do them. The leather for English saddlery is a bit difficult to come by in this country, and there aren't a lot of people who are qualified to do a good job at some of the more advanced repairs, myself included.  I guess you don't have a lot to lose by attempting the repair, except money on your time.  The first thing that comes to mind however is this: As that area is constantly in contact with the rider's thigh (as evidenced by the fact that it is worn through) I would really be concerned about creating a lump with the row of stitches, and causing irritation to the rider. 

3 hours ago, blink1688 said:
4 hours ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

is UV resistance really all that important?

Not as important as abrasion resistance. My concern about UV resistance is probably just 'new-guy-trying-to-do-the-best-job-he-can paranoia

I get that, I really do.  Unless the horse stands in the sun saddled, without a rider, for hours upon hours and day after day, I would not worry about UV resistance.  The stitches will wear through from abrasion long before they will degrade from sunlight under normal conditions.  However I could be wrong about all of it;).  There are a couple people on here that build English saddles, and perhaps they will be along to offer their opinion, and tell us both that I am full of myself!

Edited by Big Sioux Saddlery

Thank you both (@Big Sioux Saddlery, @Northmount ) for the help. 

Finished the repair a few weeks ago and I think it turned out well. The owner was ecstatic and started to show all her friends and she said it's working great for jumping and everything still :)

Ended up using waxed, braided polyester

20180801_041445 (Reduced file size).jpg

20180802_175615 (Reduced file size).jpg

I myself am really surprised how easy leather can be worn through or cracks by bending constantly.

I made myself some Slippers with leather and the leather inner sole is on 3 spots completely gone. That was an genuine leather 5 oz sole sewn to the rubber outer sole.

That saddle as well has cracked since the leather got weak because of bending.