biker55

hammer differences

Hello all, just finished a cell phone pouch and I use a hammer that I purchased from harbor freight several years ago. one side of the head is plastic, the other side is stiff rubber. I was thinking about purchasing a leathercraft hammer, but noticed there are two orientation of the head. one is perpendicular to the handle, the other is in the same orientation as the handle. is one better than the other for certain applications? Thanks

They are called Mauls in the trade. Orientation is personal preference. You will likely not get good tooling impressions using the hammer you are using. You want either a nylon head maul or a Rawhide mallet.

Thanks!

Biker55, check out wrising.com for rawhide mauls and poly mauls.  I picked up one of their rawhide mauls and I am more than pleased with it, especially for the price.  They graciously tossed in a poly mallet with my order.

There are several members that have made these. The interest in the design was to me probably same as everyone else. Though one should consider this taper design uh pretty ancient, and I mean tested well.  IE hold your arm out and thumb pointing (sorta) consider a tapered shape at the end, yep its pretty flat level or more so than our newer styles. 

Its also weird how these are way more effecient in power and not that heavy.  

Thats all I got, other than the tapered is something new to use. 

Give this search method on google a try

site: leatherworker.net : mauls

Good day

Floyd