I had a Juki Lu-562 that was in pretty good mechanical shape, but needed some paint touch-up.  I experimented with several hammered spray paints, including special order products.  In the end, the one that was a dead ringer for my lu-562 was an off the shelf Rust-Oleum color that I found at Home Depot.  

The color is Rust-Oleum "Rosemary" hammered finish.  It is a dead ringer for the dirty gray paint that Juki used.  There is a subtle hint of green as well.  Hopefully this saves someone the guesswork in the future!

The pictures show how well the paint matches.  The bed of the machine was repainted, and blended into the head area.  The second picture shows the top cover, which was sandblasted and repainted.  The area surrounding the cover is the stock color.  

Juki 2.small.jpg

Juki 1.small.jpg

Looks like the new blends with the old quite well - but it looks a lot like bronze to me.:rolleyes:

Very nice did you apply heat to it or just spray it and let it dry

Thanks for the tip @Pintodeluxe , I'll have to give it a try. There are several machines on my shelves that probably will benefit from this paint. 

I had thought about mixing a couple of the non-aerosol hammertone colors to hit this shade, but never "got around to it".  The main problem I have run into with this particular spray product is......no one seems to have it in stock.

-DC

That looks very close and nice.  Thank you for Sharing.

18 hours ago, dikman said:

Looks like the new blends with the old quite well - but it looks a lot like bronze to me.:rolleyes:

Yes, I thought the same thing and tried the Bronze Rustoleum Hammered color.  It was close, but not a match.  The Rosemary looks identical to the factory paint on this particular Juki.  

14 hours ago, AdamPCain said:

Very nice did you apply heat to it or just spray it and let it dry

I sanded the bed area with a random orbit sander, and hand sanded where the tool wouldn't reach.  Then I blew off the dust with compressed air, and wiped it down twice with lacquer thinner before spraying.  I didn't apply any heat to the paint.

I have only sandblasted parts and pieces that I could separate from the machine.  I didn't want to introduce sand and grit into the moving parts.  

This is awesome! I think most of the industrial sewing machines made in the 80s has color like this. I have a Singer 211 that needed a paint touch up, so I think this spray might work. Thanks @Pintodeluxe for the great recommendation. I don’t wish to repaint the whole machine, do you think it’s possible if I just send the rusted and peeled paint part and spray over it works? 

Tony

When painting the machine has anyone experimented with using a base or primer? Also what about a clear coat to ensure longevity???

Yes, I have used a primer before.  Mostly when filler is required to touch up paint chips.  They seem to paint up well either with or without primer.  You'll get a little greater texturing of the hammered paint if you spray over bare metal.  But the look is more consistent if you prime everything first.  

23 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

Yes, I have used a primer before.  Mostly when filler is required to touch up paint chips.  They seem to paint up well either with or without primer.  You'll get a little greater texturing of the hammered paint if you spray over bare metal.  But the look is more consistent if you prime everything first.  

Great thank you

Has anyone tried using hand painted hammered paint instead of spray paint to restored their machines?  

23 hours ago, Choeur said:

Has anyone tried using hand painted hammered paint instead of spray paint to restored their machines?  

Yes.... had to blend a custom green (dark green/charcoal/silver/gold) for an Adler (no colour range available in NZ) ... It sprayed somewhat flat - very low hammer effect... and the silver dominated the tone.

So brush stippled instead - contrast toning - green/silver & the hammer effect was much better.

But it is tricky stuff to blend on the workbench.

Photo below looks grey, but the Adler is quite a reasonable green colour match.. (indoor lighting .. night time).

2nd photo ..spray finish out of the can ..onto a bare metal restored 3n1. (again lighting not great)

IMG_20210108_001203028~3.jpg

IMG_20210108_001026535~3.jpg