Sign in to follow this  
gr8legs

Greetings from Silverton, Oregon

Hello all and thanks for a great site.

I can't claim  to be even a leather hobbyist - more like a 'hackerist' with an interest in many things mechanical. I stumbled (or Googled) into this site when I was interested in getting a sewing machine that would reliably stitch fabric webbing and a bit of leather from time to time. Our Singer 401 is a lovely machine but definitely not up to the tasks I had in mind. After studying the recommendations and conversation links on this site I found what looks like a pretty good cylinder arm machine at a decent price - so 'thanks all for your advice'!

Long, long ago I did my first leather craft in Miss Hallock's seventh-grade shop class and my skill has only slightly improved since then. It was fun but I definitely could not make a living off of leather crafty work. It was a good thing I had more aptitude for electronics and software engineering. Now that I'm semi-retired (down to operating only three businesses) and still have a fascination with a variety of things it seemed like a good time to re-kindle a long dormant interest.

Among my hobbies is collecting 'implements of human restraint' - my early interest in mechanical devices led to collecting handcuffs, leg irons, nippers, etc . . . which evolved into also collecting a few 'soft' restraints - many of which are either made entirely of leather & webbing or have significant leather content. Some of the items I find at local flea markets and garage sales (and, eBay of course) are a bit worn or otherwise in need of a bit of maintenance so I'm now studying this site for inspiration and instruction on doing some repairs.

I hope it proves relaxing - I have enough stress already :)

Thanks for reading - have fun!

Stu

Welcome Stu. I wonder if your 7th grade shop teacher was as muddled as mine was? At least he (Mr Burns) instilled a love of leatherwork in me.

" I wonder if your 7th grade shop teacher was as muddled as mine was? At least he (Mr Burns) instilled a love of leatherwork in me. "

It was a much different effect on me.

I was in Junior High (grades 6-8) in 1960-62 and ours was a small school, maybe 80 kids per grade. MISS Hallock was THE shop teacher - from leathercraft to lapidary to wood shop, SHE taught it all and did it all. She also designed and built her own house and it was a marvel to behold. Truly a Renaissance woman. She may also have taught home economics but my memory is dim and also I did not take that course. It just wasn't done way back then.

But 'muddled' was not in her character - and I still feel her influence when I think of stereotypical gender roles and how they just whooshed out the window with her influence.

Thanks for the memories :)

Stu