sbornot2b

Hand Cranked Sewing Machines

I've seen many helpful topics on leather sewing machines, but what hand cranked machines (especially older ones) are good for, say, up to 2 pieces of 8 ounce veg tan? Any advice would be much appreciated! Did Jones ever make one btw? Apologies if this was covered and I missed it. 

Edited by sbornot2b

How about my 1920s BUSM #6? It'll do 3/4" of hard veg tanned leather and is hand cranked. Only weighs 150lb without the stand ;-) :-D

If by "hand cranked" you mean an older domestic sewing machine (sometime miss-sold as "semi-industrial" or "industrial strength") the short answer is "none". All machines are different but the most I would reasonably expect from such a machine would be 10oz/4mm total of soft leather with a skinny tkt40/v69 thread -- and that would be well above its rated capacity.

IMG_20171028_141512200 (1024x768).jpg

Wow they made some great machines in the old days, guess they had few repeat customers who had worn them out

A Luberto #9 or Classic would sew this with no problem.  They are hard to find because no one wants to part with them.  They are also know as an ASA #9.

I forgot, there is the Windham Cub available new. Built by the same buy designed the Luberto #9 and Classic (both modernisations of the BUSM/Pearson #6) it's an odd little animal. Very simplistic. Uses a lot of standard modern parts. Designed to be relatively lightweight and portable, it has a hand crank instead of a balance wheel (which, if you watch videos of it in use, shows why balance wheels are a very good idea). $1800 last time I enquired.