Hey guys, ive been leather crafting for about a year and a half now. Finally i want to get myself a sewing machine. I have a singer 4452 but im not finding it adequate for what i want. Im looking at this Juki LU-563 right now. Its in fairly good condition. Everything works, its pretty clean. The reverse spring is still strong. The seller wants about 600$ canadian. Think its a good buy. I have to decide by the end of the weekend.

Thanks

If it is working good, that seems like a good price. I see a lot of 562's but haven't found a 563 yet. What is the table and motor like. Servo or clutch motor. Do you have any photo's?

They have always been one of the most attractive models to me.  Top loading bobbin like a Juki Lu-562 or a Consew 226, but you get the added benefit of a big bobbin.  Class U bobbin if I'm not mistaken, even bigger than M style bobbin.  I have a 562 and like it.  

I was just looking at a 562 class 3 someone in Montreal was selling on Kijiji.... good price but small bobbin and no reverse on the class 3.

EDIT - double checked and it was Ottawa but we conversed in French so... and it was 400 CDN

Edited by plinkercases

A Juki LU-563 in good working condition is a steal at CAD $600  (USD $456).  That machine may well be gone by the end of the weekend. If I were you, I'd go pick it up NOW.

As you been working with these projects awhile you have surely found servos are pretty nice. So with something like that planed a 563 in great shape would be excelent.  Photos would help but that price is real good, I wouldnt take that price as joke. But anyhow just keep a look out for one your happy with. 

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Back around 1989 through 1990, I purchased several Juki LU-563s for myself and business associates. I got the cheapest one at a discount for bringing sales business to the dealer. That traded in machine cost me $1200 back around 1990. the other 563s cost the buyers $2200 each. I post this as a reference for what these machines used to sell for, new and used, from Juki dealers.

And taking inflation into account, that $2,200 in 1990 is roughly twice that today. So the USD $450-ish price for that LU-563 is roughly 10% of what it cost when new. Sounds like a bargain to me. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 9.22.03 PM.png

Edited by Uwe

6 hours ago, JJN said:

If it is working good, that seems like a good price. I see a lot of 562's but haven't found a 563 yet. What is the table and motor like. Servo or clutch motor. Do you have any photo's?

Im pretty sure its a clutch, il see if i can find the photos from the add. Thanks guys its good to know that im not being ripped off. Im not expecting my first machine to be the BEST! but its nice to get something functional. Il sleep on it tonight and decide on it tomorrow. Thanks for your quick responses!

5b52aab713a58_jukii1.JPG.926ae517f0a9dbe6952eac55c7b6e211.JPG5b52aaa69ba23_Juki2.JPG.ecb0bb6379b92cb48bf0c029a70a75b5.JPG

The 563 is a great machine.  Here's what a pair of mine looked like when I bought them- and one after a bit of TLC.

Juki_1&2.jpg

Juki_Proximity.jpg

Edited by SARK9

1 hour ago, SARK9 said:

The 563 is a great machine.  Here's what a pair of mine looked like when I bought them- and one after a bit of TLC.

Juki_1&2.jpg

Juki_Proximity.jpg

wow how did you get it so clean? i was thinking of re veneering the table if i got it.

Edited by Kolby
wrong word

Heres another question. What kind of needle and thread do i need to use? i kow that standard leather needle size is 100/16 or 110/18 but i dont know if thats just for smaller non industrial sewing machines.

In not sure your local apparell fabric will carry these.  Maybe?

anyway that machine I believe is using a : 135 X 17 system in non leather points, these come in many thread sizes. For this I would pick up 10 each in 18, 20, 22 for now. This will work for some 69-138 threads. I like 19 with the 92 threads. 

For the leather material they ( mfg ) designate the 135 X 16 system needles and these also come in a best # for thread sizes. 

Along side the system number ( 135x16 or 17 ) in buying these. There are numbers for thread size and can have a number like 110/18 or 125/20 and 140/22 so as mentioned above. 

A ten pac is fine especialy after a couple hundred yards, you might need to or just change out for a needle for good times. 

Good day

Floyd

6 hours ago, Kolby said:

wow how did you get it so clean? i was thinking of re veneering the table if i got it.

After some poor experiences with the "modern plywoods produced by some of our Asian trading partners", I've stuck with the old tables for my own use. As long as they are still straight and sound, they can be put back in top form with a bit of worthwhile effort. Block sand the surface perfectly flat with flooring sandpaper, fill in any gouges or other holes with an automotive body filler, and bond down a countertop grade HPL liike Formica in the color/pattern of your choice. The edge banding can be a problem, but it can be replaced if needed.  

-DC

Juki_Table_Before.jpg

Juki_Table_After.jpg

That is excellent work on the table top rebuild, SARK9. I replace my needle either after 8 hours of use, most times it is more often depending what and how thick a material it is piercing.

kgg

Edited by kgg

Yea seriously thats a nice job. I think il do the same on mine. Im supposed to pick it up tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, kgg said:

That is excellent work on the table top rebuild, SARK9. I replace my needle either after 8 hours of use, most times it is more often depending what and how thick a material it is piercing.

kgg

Ok thats good to know but what type of needle do you use? Can you link me a good place to buy it?

Oh and i was just wondering, how do you clean/maintain these machines? Is it good to give it a thorough cleaning every once in a while?

Thanks again!

I have a 562 which is the main machine for my marine canvas business.  I use 138 thread...so the bobbins go quick.  Always have an eye out for the 563 at a decent price.

nice, il download that now!

What thickness of veg tan can this punch through

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

What thickness of veg tan can this punch through

They will sew around a total of 20oz.

snap thats alot!

I just picked the machine up. Il take some photos of it and post it this afternoon. 

Any suggestion on the type of oil to use?

Just now, Kolby said:

snap thats alot!

I just picked the machine up. Il take some photos of it and post it this afternoon. 

Any suggestion on the type of oil to use?

Use the standard white lily oil made for industrial sewing machines. It is sold by all industrial sewing machine dealers.

Some of the fabric, craft or box stores have little bottles of real sew machine oil.

This works in the mean time as your qt. or gallon order is in the mail. 

It all sounds great for ya on the machine find, good work there.

Good day

Floyd