My first time working with dyed leather - a natural veg tan horse strap dyed to dark brown. A wool dauber was used, and while pretty well covered, once dyed I noticed that there are streaks and patches that are lighter or medium in color than the dark brown. Should I either:

1) do a second full coat?

2) Go back with a dauber over the lighter areas?

3) just give a good rub and buff with a cream conditioner which will redistribute/darken the piece? 

For reference, wouldn't mind subtle highlights and lowlights in the color, but don't want it blotchy. One thing I wasn't certain about is whether if I leave it as is if a good cream with redistributes the dye to give the subtle high lights and low lights, or whether more dye should be added. 

Photos would help us see what is going on.  Also, what kind of dye are you using? Getting dye right takes a bit of practice.  If we see what you are doing and what you are using, we might be able to get you on the right path.

YinTx

Don't just go over the lighter areas. I have never had the results I expected when I've done that. I have had luck with going over the whole thing with neatsfoot oil, however. Seemed to blend thing better, but it will darken it, also. Not as much as another coat of dye, though.

Jeff

Alpha, thanks for the response. I was curious if that might be the case. I've included a picture and would love to hear any comments you have. I was hoping some type of conditioner would sort of move the dye around a little. 

image1.jpeg

If that is Fiebing's Oil Dye, I've been known to do two coats - usually I will do it while the dye is still a little wet, but you can go over it again even after it is dry. Also, going in the opposite direction of the first coat. Then, when completely dry (like a day or so) I'll go over it with a good coat of neatsfoot oil.  Let it rest a day again, this does help distribute the color evenly it seems.  Both of these things will darken it up a bit.  I don't know if any other conditioners will help with distributing color, as most of them contain other ingredients that don't seem to move as readily through the leather, such as waxes.  If you do use something else that has waxes, you might hit it briefly with a hair dryer until just warm.

Also, be aware not to use too much oil, once it has too much, you can't take it out!

YinTx

Also, I wouldn't use mineral oil - you could experiment, but I've not heard anyone using it on a regular basis.  Someone else who has, might chime in.

For a long piece like that strap, I would not use a dauber.  What works for me is a dense sponge with the edge dipped in the dye and wipe the entire length of the strap quickly, then once again from one end to the other, then the edges and back side and let it dry a good spell.  Buff it with a dry cloth after it is dry and it should be streak free.

I use Fiebing's Pro dye.  I always give my projects at least two and maybe three applications.  I want to load it with color, until it will not take any more.  I just give it a minute or two between coats.  When it starts "standing" on the leather, I know it is done.  Of course, this results in the darkest rendition of whatever color is used, but it IS even.  If it is not even, then perhaps the leather had some oils or waxes on it which prevented absorption.