Euclid

What to do with a 10-ft long strap?

Hi, I found a 10-ft long leather strap, about 3" wide, and 3mm thick for cheap at a yard sale. Regular cow hide I would say. I now see it's much too wide and thick for a normal belt, so I'm not quite sure what to do with it. What would you do? Looking for ideas.

I'm totally new to leather crafting, but open to simple projects, I have a few basic tools.

Depending on what leather it is and stuff, you could use a strap cutter and get 2 10 ft pieces that are 1.5" wide. Then use those to make belt blanks or dog collars 

That is a heavy duty strap, would be a shame to cut it up into pieces.  I wonder if it was originally  intended as a belt for a leather belt drive on equipment?  Those would have to run a long time under stress and constant flexing around pulleys, so if I am not mistaken, very thick and treated to handle the conditions.

YinTx

G'Day,  Depending on the type of leather, with that width, you could make some really nice guitar straps, for yourself or for sale. If its not veg tan, and its already black, brown or whatever,  then perhaps use studs, spots, concho's etc to jazz it up ,  finished off with  with some nice hand stitching along the edge. If its black for example, perhaps a  red or yellow or white  thread? 

Re-enactment belts ? One piece utility cases, for phones, tools ...or....whatever :)  

Just a few ideas there. 

HS

On 2018-07-21 at 9:34 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Is it veg tan, or Latigo? 

From online research I did yesterday, I'm tempted to say it's latigo, because it's dark reddish and after I washed it and left it on a white (vinyl) floor a few minutes, it dripped some dye, which I understand latino would do. I did find a similar piece at a local leather shop, but they were vague as to what they would do with it. They do a lot of horse equipment and western type clothing.

I got into leather because of an interest in medieval or historical crafts, so I like the "leather belt drive on equipment" idea. I'll have to look this up i.e. what kind of actual machines actually used a leather drive. I'm sure it would make great should straps, dog collars, or belts, but I want to make sure I don't miss out on anything before I cut it appart. Thanks!

Edited by Euclid

You ever met a Holstein cow, or more especially a bull or steer up close? :D

The hide doesn't have to be 10 ft. long. They can get a longer piece of leather by cutting on a slight curve, rather than straight.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 7/22/2018 at 8:44 PM, Euclid said:

I like the "leather belt drive on equipment" idea. I'll have to look this up i.e. what kind of actual machines actually used a leather drive. 

This guy is pretty good