Hello, again!

Here is the gun belt to the holster I posted earlier. A friend commissioned me to make it for his 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk.  He's a big fan of tie-down roping and asked me to incorporate some roping scenes. 

Let me know what you think and please ask if you have any questions.

-Ryan

KK2X6876.thumb.JPG.e35fe5967d45074435c76a728beac167.JPG

KK2X6884.thumb.JPG.621d59fafb710ee7e3505260ec97eb79.JPG

Wow.  That's beautiful.

1 minute ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Wow.  That's beautiful.

Thank you!

Man that is some nice carving.  Great looking rig.  Your friend should be very proud to own something so well made.  

Simply superb work!!

Ryan, that’s a beautiful rig you made!  Did you sew the belt and then trim to size?  Almost looks like the cartridge loops are a separate piece of leather, but I can’t imagine sewing such a thin strip along the top edge.  Nice work!

Gary

I like it!   A LOT!  That's some beautiful work.

Most excellent work, sir! I like the concho at each end of your cartridge loop run in lieu of a rivet or stitching...very nice little embellishment to go along with the "high" placement to showcase that nice carving work.

Very nice work!

Nice job.

Nice job, Kid ;) Stitchin' looks great, loops are uniform and fitting, color looks nice.  But I wanna give you a couple thoughts, I think you could benefit.  I mean it as a compliment -- I generally don't offer it (any more) to people who aren't going to "get it" anyway.  Don't take it wrong -- your rig looks great. I'm talking about making it a 12 on a 1 to 10 scale ;)

Personally like to get you AWAY from that ant-streak crap.  Your carving is lookin' pretty good, but I have always thought that "antique" stuff looks like what's left behind after the rain puddles dry up.  I know some consider it "traditional", but fact is that's "how it was done" before there were better methods of coloring widely available.  And good carving doesn't need it.

And watch your "halos" -- that beveling 'ridge" around the designs.  Some of that can be done with just a modeling spoon you use for rounding your cut edges.

OH, YEAH -- not usually a fan of "staging" in photos, but the trough and iron gate is actually purdy 'catchy' :innocent:

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks guys!

@garypl Thanks Gary! I punched slots in the belt and then wove and formed a veg tan strip to make the loops. Then I lined the belt with latigo so you can't see anything on the back. After I glued and stitched the belt I trimmed the lining down to the belt.

Here's a drawing of what I mean:

5b55fd7c8ca71_beltdrawing.png.f8fafa9fb9a0f48e64d4850edacafbe4.png

@JLSleather Thank you for the advice! I see what you mean about that antique. I think it would have looked better if I had buffed it a little more to get rid of some of the "puddle residue" but then why antique in the first place? So I understand but what would you suggest using for dye? Just regular fiebings dyes? Would that look good on tooled leather? I used fiebings antique paste on this because the paste always produces an even color while other dyes tend to look messy unless I use an airbrush.

-Ryan

Here are a few more pics of the front and the lining. 

KK2X6920.JPG.1b64c4df9131d8e1fed570682093486b.JPGKK2X6888.JPG.efa321e9d6e8b310d754b5bbdf2a1508.JPGKK2X6892.thumb.JPG.e97ee559920ae13dfff2b2316b7bcab0.JPG

Just now, TxLeather said:

Beautiful. Really a great job!
Hats off.

Thank you!

Another outstanding bunch of work and time well spent! I really like your work man!

Beautiful work for sure.

Only one thought for the next one in this style would be work in a large keeper so that the wide belts stay aligned when overlapped.

There is a chance over time they will "fan out" or torque as a friend says and the billets will warp to allow it.

The one in this (my player of the week beer belt)  picture isn't pretty in any way but does demonstrate the larger keeper at the far left to help the overlap stay where you want it.

the other picture is off the interweb and also shows the same principle but done up.

20151113_145159_resized_1.jpg

big belt keeper.jpg

Edited by plinkercases
spelling as usual

48 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Another outstanding bunch of work and time well spent! I really like your work man!

Thanks, Monkey! I appreciate it!

39 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

Beautiful work for sure.

Only one thought for the next one in this style would be work in a large keeper so that the wide belts stay aligned when overlapped.

There is a chance over time they will "fan out" or torque as a friend says and the billets will warp to allow it.

The one in this (my player of the week beer belt)  picture isn't pretty in any way but does demonstrate the larger keeper at the far left to help the overlap stay where you want it.

the other picture is off the interweb and also shows the same principle but done up.

20151113_145159_resized_1.jpg

big belt keeper.jpg

Ah, thanks for the tip. I was wondering about that. Makes total sense. I suppose I can still do that.... when you think you're all done... :) 

-Ryan

Wowza!

That is a beautiful piece of work.  Great carving!!!!

Wow Ryan you really are a natural!  It is wonderful to be able to watch a guy with your talent develop in to a true master. Keep up the good work an PLEASE keep sharing!

10 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

@JLSleather Thank you for the advice! I see what you mean about that antique. I think it would have looked better if I had buffed it a little more to get rid of some of the "puddle residue" but then why antique in the first place? So I understand but what would you suggest using for dye? Just regular fiebings dyes? Would that look good on tooled leather? I used fiebings antique paste on this because the paste always produces an even color while other dyes tend to look messy unless I use an airbrush.

Well, that's the thing, aint it.  Your answer is the same as my answer --- daubers, brushes, and/or airbrush.  You could use a stain (some of them are quite good) but likely wouldn't get that shade.  Area that size, I would have used the airbrush myself.

Still, over all that still looks good.

Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Awesome work, you are doing what I want to be doing.  Which is improving on great projects every time.  Doing your own artwork.  Making inspiring art.  Thanks for sharing!

YinTx