1B6DC549-35ED-460D-9921-AA3956A8D0C7.jpeg

Hi everyone, I need some opinions. The top picture is my new project. This is my fourth wallet ever and I’m really happy with how the design turned out. Still of course working on my stamping but who isn’t. 

So now im at the dying phase and I’m a little stuck cause I don’t want to ruin it. I’m going to antique it but I definitely want to highlight the fish. Maybe even add colour? 

So I need opinions. What would you block, where and why? Also I need help to get my dying look more consistent. I’ll put some examples of my previous work so you know where I’m at. I he first pic is my project. The last colourful one was done all in dye... except the white of course. I have a hard time not complicating things. It’s like if I’m not striving to be professional why am I doing this at all.

011C6B93-2083-4010-B5FC-8322493AA2A0.jpeg.bd270cdd02a6ed9d985413673284713a.jpeg

DEA40852-D063-4FE9-9D48-00BDCAC4CF8D.jpeg

99C161F1-E957-48DC-B738-81F227F6F0CF.jpeg

Edited by paulamoose
Added more information

Wow that is insane work! Great job! 

If you are going to use an antique, I'd suggest fiebings antique paste. It comes out very even. Just be sure to buff it really good with wool before you apply your finish. (I use tandy's wool remnants). As far as highlighting the fish, I'd just put random stamps in some scrap leather and do a few trials to see what you like, then do it to the wallet.  Can't wait to see it finished!

-Ryan

Yep, I think it looks really good too and your stamping looks ok to me. I like that circular scaling stamp a lot, it is really pronounced.

The whole piece  is a great design in which all the elements work together. That is some very nice work with that "scale"-look stamp-- getting geometrics to work is a pain, but you did it very well here. 
Maybe you shouldn't hide the work by using a colored antique dye/stain at all, but a highlighter, instead, which will darken the leather slightly but help the tooling to "pop."
The stamped elements already have a nice dark contrast, and I'm not sure that darkening them would be an improvement. This looks like a job for the scrap leather test!

I would put resist on the fish and the two high ridges in the border and then antique with Fiebing's paste.

...or maybe find a way to thin out silver paint to put a silvery highlight on the fish. Hmm...

My 2 cents-- dye the outside border where your stitching goes resist the rest and antique with Fiebing's paste.  

I use my fair share of antique, but sometimes a thing just simply looks good enough on it's own not to need antique at all.  In my humble opinion, this is one of those items.  Fantastic burnish, well defined tooling, a nice coat of oil, maybe a light colored dye, and a finish coat would be outstanding on this.

YinTx

Oh thank you so much for the nice remarks. I am always seeing where I could improve instead of viewing the whole picture.  I did a couple of tests yesterday but I think I need a few more now :rolleyes:

I can't help but I love your work.

I'm not one who likes to see a lot of paint on leather. I been using tandys eco flow antique. A lot of people don't like it, buts it's been working for me. I thjnk a light antique would be best. Your tooling is fantastic. Let that be the predominate focus of your leatherwork..

So it’s done!!!! Finished yesterday after a lot of humming and ha-I gotta, I am very happy with it. Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up blocking out the fish and the edges lines and made my own highlighter combining 3 different colours I had. The combo made the colour I wanted. I should have taken a picture of it before it was sewn cause it’s hard to capture both sides after... rookie mistake lol.40B325EA-9437-4A77-A95F-108A5BE3403F.thumb.jpeg.b1bcc54bf0a3c257a172e5f684fa2831.jpeg

Really nice bit of work there @paulamoose!

Really, really nice!

I'd say you nailed it!  What kind of antique did you use?

YinTx

9 minutes ago, YinTx said:

I'd say you nailed it!  What kind of antique did you use?

YinTx

I mixed eco- flow highlighter brair brown and all in one fudge brown with a hint of saddle tan highlighter. 

It turned out great. Nice work.