Hello, again!

Yeah, I've been busy.

Just finished up some spur straps and a breast collar for me and my horse Patty. I did the tooling on the breast collar to match my saddle.

Spur straps are 8/9 oz. veg tan and the breast collar is 10/12 oz. saddle skirting (Tandy) and lined with 5/6 oz. latigo. I went on a long ride and the collar worked great and seemed pretty comfortable for the horse so I'm happy with it.

Let me know what you think. Critique welcome.

2376325749073430164.jpg.c4b7e0eec375bf36e3861591543019bf.jpg

8121073814663334359.jpg.3f3bcd9cdf4c4440e51d261f9b4a0a9d.jpg

3421648366283333648.jpg.132f8d729531959ef0562ded52fa90ef.jpg

1055910887282552513.jpg.e81bcf42be8eed5ec096bd3964c8554e.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Ryan

sheesh, you do powerful good work. You have real talent for this leatherwork thing

3 hours ago, fredk said:

sheesh, you do powerful good work. You have real talent for this leatherwork thing

Lol Thanks!

Your most severe critic, the horse, seemed to think it was okay. I've never worn a breast collar so I wouldn't know what a good one was.

Oh..wait...you're asking about the tooling? Well, that's fine too. If Patty doesn't mind....

52 minutes ago, DJole said:

Your most severe critic, the horse, seemed to think it was okay. I've never worn a breast collar so I wouldn't know what a good one was.

Oh..wait...you're asking about the tooling? Well, that's fine too. If Patty doesn't mind....

You've never worn a breast collar?! Man, you don't know what you're missing out on! Since you don't know what a good breast collar is like, then just take my word for it that mine is the best lol! (jk) :lol:

I have to start all over... Patty said she wanted floral carving with her name on it instead... My critic is so depressing that I'm considering quitting leather and joining the glue factory. :deadsubject:

Next she'll want to vote, you to nip this in the bud.

Nice work, as always. When do you find time for school?

Jeff

Roland I have never really ever wanted to go back in time and live someone else's life but.....

• Homeschooled
  • Ranch life in Arizona
  • horse named Patty
  • killer leather working skills starting young
  • time and tools to do it!!!
  • and great hat

Kiddo just keep on keeping on and sharing so I can do it all vicariously.

6 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Next she'll want to vote, you to nip this in the bud.

Nice work, as always. When do you find time for school?

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

She already nipped me in the bud while I was shoeing her and my back was turned...

Im 2 cool 4 scool. lol. No, I take online college courses that only take up a few hours a day so I usually get each week of school done in 3 days so I have time for leather and horses. Can't imagine going to a public school every week day all day. I'm very blessed. 

Can't leather work be enough though? Can't I just omit school and go full force into leather work? I mean, leather work is kinda school isn't it? I asked my parents those questions but they don't see things the way a leather worker does.... maybe that's a good thing. Anyways, I'll either major or minor in business so that would help my leather business.

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Roland I have never really ever wanted to go back in time and live someone else's life but.....

• Homeschooled
  • Ranch life in Arizona
  • horse named Patty
  • killer leather working skills starting young
  • time and tools to do it!!!
  • and great hat

Kiddo just keep on keeping on and sharing so I can do it all vicariously.

Lol! Thanks, Plinker! 

Don't forget very supportive and encouraging parents! :yes:

Maybe one day, you'll have a great hat like mine. :cowboy:

-Ryan

Edited by Rolandranch

I'm looking at your photos thinking "Wow, that is some really nice tooling, I wonder how that bay in the background is bred, Patty looks content- probably bragging to the other horses about her nice new breast collar, her mane is on the right (correct) side, looks like a nice set up with the fencing, where are the cattle?" 

I'll throw in my $2 worth [inflation!]

Your Leather work is a craft, but not just any craft. Its a skilled job.

Where you live people will always need horse harness and chaps and the other items made of leather. Those people will also need car mechanics, electricians, butchers; your leatherwork is no less than one of those occupations

As long as you can read, write, do maths, communicate properly, you'll never starve knowing how to make good things in leather.

I once knew a chap who traveled the world. He knew two things; how to teach English and how to play a guitar. Thats all he took with him. Traveled the world for 8 years just doing one or the other. He never starved

I love your leather work. Coming from an old man: You are what I would wish for in any of my off-spring no matter which generation.

I know your mom and dad are super proud of you and we on this forum are also.

Keep up the good work and stick to the "learnin-". One day you will look at it as the best thing you ever done.

Ferg

1 hour ago, Rolandranch said:

Lol! Thanks, Plinker! 

Don't forget very supportive and encouraging parents! :yes:

Maybe one day, you'll have a great hat like mine. :cowboy:

-Ryan

The loving and supporting a parents I have already been blessed with and I have a hat too...

The hat in this picture is really on my real head but if you look closely you can see where I added the background.......

cowboy mo (Small).png

3 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Can't leather work be enough though?

Someone here once said show me a leather worker and I'll show you a spouse with a full time job.

A plethora of folks try to make decent $ at leather work, a few succeed.  A lot of other types of work using your brain muscle pay a lot more money, and doing leather on the side is a good gig, lets you do creative work, have a good hobby, and make a few extra $$ on the side.  When you have completed a degree, and decide where your most valuable talent resides, then make the choice on a career path.  Don't end the education because you find one skill you enjoy.  Nurture both, and the world will be your oyster, as they say.

YinTx