I'm working on a pair of forearm crutches that will be getting leather on the arm cuffs and handles.  I'm seriously looking at Springfield Leather's Sof-Tan milled veg tan.  I've never worked with veg tan or milled veg tan before but the idea that the milled veg tan might be softer and more flexible appeals to me.  Also, because of the intended use I don't want to use a dyed product. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at veg tan leather.  I don't want the dyes possibly rubbing off on the client's clothes.

Has anyone here worked with Springfield's Sof-Tan leathers and how is it to work with?

I can't seem to get their site to come up right now or I would post a link.

Thanks,

Rodney

I decided against the milled veg tan until I can learn more about it.  I ordered some kidskin from Springfield's leather disrupter sale instead.  I don't know if all kidskin is like it, but it was perfect for my needs-nice & stretchy with a really nice feel.  I hope it is because the kidskin is my favorite so far.

I have some Hermann Oak milled veg tan in 5-6 oz, nice feel to it, seems thick, soft and strong, and I suspect it would work well.  I think the kidskins are mostly chrome tanned, and may not hold up under that kind of stress.  Not sure, but suspect the milled veg would probably get a nice patina to it and wear in very comfortably.

YinTx

Tony yes but in the 3-4 oz weight.  It looked like a good choice but I went with the kidskin.  I was concerned about how pliable or not the leather would be.  I found out the hard way with other purchases that not all cowhide is pliable enough for my needs.  The kidskin was cheap and thin enough I figured it was worth a chance. 

This is the kidskin I went with:  http://springfieldleather.com/Kidskin-Chestnut

Is the review button broken at Springfield?  I tried leaving one (favorable) but I don't think it worked.

I really like how this kidskin works and it feels great in the hand.  It's also nice and stretchy which is perfect for my needs.  I can wrap it around the contours of my handles very easily.  It also seemed relatively resistant to being pierced when I was sewing it.  Very tough for it's thickness, at least to me.

Is all kidskin that stretchy? If it is I want more, I would like to have more than one color on hand.

YinTx I hope the kidskin holds up.  I want the crutches to look good and last a good long time.  In this application there will be some rubbing but there won't be any pulling, bending or other stresses on the leather. I'll keep the veg tan in mind next time I order.  It does sound like a good choice and I would like to learn to work with it.  Maybe I''ll just try a foot or two to see the first time I order it.

The leather is done on the crutches and I'm touching up the finish on the wood now.   I'll post them on the forum after the customer receives them.  Probably late next week, sooner if I can.  Silly to wait maybe, but I want her to see them first.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:46 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

Tony yes but in the 3-4 oz weight.  It looked like a good choice but I went with the kidskin.  I was concerned about how pliable or not the leather would be.  I found out the hard way with other purchases that not all cowhide is pliable enough for my needs.  The kidskin was cheap and thin enough I figured it was worth a chance. 

This is the kidskin I went with:  http://springfieldleather.com/Kidskin-Chestnut

Is the review button broken at Springfield?  I tried leaving one (favorable) but I don't think it worked.

I really like how this kidskin works and it feels great in the hand.  It's also nice and stretchy which is perfect for my needs.  I can wrap it around the contours of my handles very easily.  It also seemed relatively resistant to being pierced when I was sewing it.  Very tough for it's thickness, at least to me.

Is all kidskin that stretchy? If it is I want more, I would like to have more than one color on hand.

YinTx I hope the kidskin holds up.  I want the crutches to look good and last a good long time.  In this application there will be some rubbing but there won't be any pulling, bending or other stresses on the leather. I'll keep the veg tan in mind next time I order.  It does sound like a good choice and I would like to learn to work with it.  Maybe I''ll just try a foot or two to see the first time I order it.

The leather is done on the crutches and I'm touching up the finish on the wood now.   I'll post them on the forum after the customer receives them.  Probably late next week, sooner if I can.  Silly to wait maybe, but I want her to see them first.

All the Kidskin I have felt has that extra little stretch to it. I think you made a great choice! I really liked that skin when I was taking the pictures of it. I made a minimalist wallet out of some kidskin, just because there was some scrap on my desk, I really think it is going to hold up very good! 

I just checked the review button and it works. There may be something on the back end of our site, that we have to "approve" them. :et me go see if I can get your review posted!! Love seeing those up there....good or bad...we are always trying to find was to better serve.

Thanks for getting back to me on this Tony.   There was a similar question about your milled veg tan from another member here in the "How do I do that?" section.  You may have already seen it.  I'm hoping after payday I can order some more leather from you.

Big time milled user here.

I buy it from Sav Mor and the heaviest they go is 5-6 oz but I've purchased it from other retailers as well.

I DO NOT dye milled veg tan black because it is impossible to ensure that it will not rub off (I use Fiebing's Pro Dye).

I DO stain milled veg tan though and I haven't had any issues (I use Fiebing's stain).

When I need black, I buy pre-dyed milled from Sav Mor.

I have ruined clothes before so I suggest that what ever you choose to do, you make a prototype and use it to ensure the finish holds up.

Thanks.  The kidskin is dyed, but by the tannery.  I decided that my fears were most likely groundless in this case.  Something I wouldn't bet on if I dyed the leather myself.  I know I didn't have any problems while I was handling it and stitching it on.