Rich1

Blue dye problem

I have fiebings light blue and turquoise leather dye. I have tried to dilute with isopropyl alcohol and denatured alcohol. I need a very light blue. I can get color I want on white paper but when I try on scrap piece of leather it's always to dark. I have tried to put on extremely thin, unsuccessfully. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me. I have successfully got pink from red before but can't seem to get the blue.

I love that particular shade of blue. I made a sheath for my EDC knife that matches nothing I wear. I finished the edges in red. Looks like Capt. America.

I wish I had some help for you but I don't.

Ran into another problem with this today. Used turquoise dye straight out of bottle let dry about 12 hrs got color a little darker than I wanted but could live with then put super sheen on to seal dye and it turned black on me. I have no idea what I did wrong, open for any comments. Thanks

You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

This was before I put super sheen on. I took a surgeon scalpel and scraped black off and lightly sanded then redyed. Rubbed bees wax over then applied resolene. I got a little color but still not happy with. 

image.jpeg

The problem is that the color is transparent and it allows the color of the leather to show.  Its combining with the blue to create blue with brown in it, thus darkening it.  The only real way to get that light color you want is to us nearly white leather or use acrylic paint.  Some aniline dyes are more vibrant, but they're hard to get in the states due to the toxicity.  

How about instead of dying it blue, you use acrylic paint in blue or turquoise? Maybe even white coat first, then the blue, for even lighter blue?

Jeff

Thanks for all the help. The guy I am making for was happy with when I showed him today. I thought about paint idea but I was afraid over time it would crack and he doesn't want cracks. Surprise birthday gift for his wife. Thanks again this was learning experience.

This may sound crazy but if I used white paint as you say  and then blue over will it crack through dye like some of paints do over time. I have never tried that. I tried some pretty crazy things to me. I used barge cement on piece of scrap trying to block then use blue. Just curious. Thanks.

I haven't tried it, but with some paints, an under coat of white will lighten the top coat. 

I will try sometime on my own stuff and see before I put out to friend or customer. Thanks

I tried a white wash on small piece and put the dye over, wow it really lightened it up. I punched hole in and put on my key chain to give it a time test. I will let you know after a month or so how it's wearing, maybe that will be long enough.

Seconding your last comment -- yes, definitely something to experiment with would be mixing your dye with a dense white pigment (like a gesso) because that will absolutely "brighten" the color, hopefully without resulting in a cracked surface like paint often does on leather. I wouldn't do a full, direct coat of gesso, I feel like that's too likely to crack, but I've mixed it with dyes in varying degrees and been pleased with the results.

I showed my sample to customer and he wanted to take the risk. Lighter blue is after. Thanks for everyone's help. I hope this also helps someone else.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg