amstanzel

810 Post Bed Sewing Machine

Hello All,

In my search to find a decently priced post bed sewing machine for shoemaking, I came across a lot of machines that looked similar, and had a similar Model Number as well. Yamata, TechSew, AtlasLevy, Cowboy, FoxSew, and others all have a post bed model with some variation of 810 in the model number. So should I consider these all to be the same model? I know TechSew advertises here, but if it is the same as the Yamata that's being offered for significantly less, I might as well go with the cheaper option right? The only difference seems to be that the TechSew comes assembled, and some of the cheaper options need assembly, which I have no issue with. I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

I'll also use this space to get some advice on which machine to get, outside of the options I've mentioned above. I'm looking for a single needle, rolling foot, post bed machine, for around 1500$. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

I think a good start and an automatic one would lean me to a machine that I have used. 

In agreement here on the assembling a unit. Many times this is enjoyable anyway, in this case I dont think shipping is a lot different imo. Saying this as the head on that choice machine is above standard weights for ups. 

What seems to catch me though is some dealers I think! That frequent the forum may personaly have the machine head out of the factory box and run it through its paces. Im well aware that the factories do their thing but Im still inclined to think what i said happens. 

So with this I have to weigh my options and then choose one and sometimes I also use standards from historical points.  

Good day

Floyd

I personally think that the large sewing machine companies cannot stop production of the most basic ranges to make changes for the smaller company orders so all are made exactly the same except maybe colour and logo's

The likes of the Juki's of this world order enough sub categories to be able to have a lot of different models of the same basic machine, but the smaller companies can just buy the standard batch

Every industrial machine relies on a service engineer being local to, to give them a once over every few months to stop break downs at peak times. Little doubt he can maintain any well known model regardless of the name on it

All machines should come with a test piece attached so you can see it works ok

I would suggest first action is to show a diagram and specs to your local sewing machine repair man and ask them if they are happy to work on it and get spares as nobody wants to spend money on a item in the back of a store for a few months waiting on being repaired

Large scale advertising does not always meant they are value for money or better made

Just my thoughts

Edited by chrisash

6 hours ago, amstanzel said:

Hello All,

In my search to find a decently priced post bed sewing machine for shoemaking, I came across a lot of machines that looked similar, and had a similar Model Number as well. Yamata, TechSew, AtlasLevy, Cowboy, FoxSew, and others all have a post bed model with some variation of 810 in the model number. So should I consider these all to be the same model? I know TechSew advertises here, but if it is the same as the Yamata that's being offered for significantly less, I might as well go with the cheaper option right? The only difference seems to be that the TechSew comes assembled, and some of the cheaper options need assembly, which I have no issue with. I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

I'll also use this space to get some advice on which machine to get, outside of the options I've mentioned above. I'm looking for a single needle, rolling foot, post bed machine, for around 1500$. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

First of all, decide if you intend to use the post machine to sew fancy stitching, or to simply sew seams together. Second, decide if you are okay with a single needle, or if a double needle is in your best interest. Third, establish what range of stitch lengths will look best in your designs. Fourth, choose a range of thread sizes.

Finally, pick the type of feed that suits you work. This could be a large (~1") or small (~3/4") roller foot, which gives the best visibility of where the needle will enter the material. These machines are best suited to decorative stitching. Roller foot post machines come in bottom feed only, or top and bottom synchronized feed. The latter is much more expensive.

Other feed types are flat foot and walking foot. The flat foot could be right, left, or double toe and is best used with simple stitch lines and piped seams. The walking foot systems work best when you have to sew up and down new layers.

Once you have established the required specs, go hunt down the best machine that meets them at a price you can afford.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that any post machine will do for shoe making. Some are limited in stitch length (too short or too long). Others in needle and thread size. Some have 6" posts while others are taller. Some have large bobbins that take up more room on the right side of the needle and increase the entire footprint of the business end of the post.

All of our industrial sewing machine dealers sell and service post machines of all descriptions. You can buy a good condition used Singer, Adler or Pfaff post machine (with a motor and table) from about $1,000 to $1800. New Chinese post machines usually sell for about $2,000 and up, depending on the type of feed and number of needles.

The last options would be type of motor and whether a speed reducer is installed or not.

I'd recommend making a day trip to Keystone Sewing (LW member  @Gregg From Keystone Sewing ) in Philadelphia. Having somebody available local-ish for advice, parts and service can make a huge difference. Being able to see and try out a machine in person with your sample materials is a big deal. Online info generally doesn't tell the whole story. 

I also think the kind of machine you probably want for shoe work is a dual driven wheel setup. Some of those machines belong to a class of clones that often have "9910" in the model number.

This is the Highlead GC24618 (HG9910) in Gregg's shop. 

GC24618Needle.jpg

Once your shoes sell like Jimmy Choo, then you can afford a proper modern machine like the Pfaff 1591:

Edited by Uwe