garypl

Bought a Used Consew

I picked up a used Consew machine today for $180.  It included head, table, speed reducer, servo motor, old clutch motor that was replaced by servo, thread and other accessories.  It runs but timing is off (I guess) the feed mechanism doesn't advance the material, just shifts back and forth.  I am not sure of the model - could not find a model number anywhere, but here are some pictures - maybe someone can help identify it.  The hook is in the front (vertical).

I figure the speed reducer and servo motor were worth the price I paid.  Both seem to be in fine working condition.

Thanks for any information.

Gary

Consew1.jpg

Consew2.jpg

Consew3.jpg

Consew4.jpg

Consew5.jpg

Consew6.jpg

That speed reducer box alone sells for close to $180, so you got yourself a good deal.

It looks very much like a Consew 206RB-? to me. Exactly which model level 1/2/3/4/5, I can't quite tell. With a little luck ,it's a re-badged Seiko STH-8BLD. If so it'll say Seiko all over the place on the inside.

Most people in north America refer to that hook as a horizontal axis hook, using the orientation of the hook's axis to classify.  Elsewhere in the world they use the hook's plane of rotation as the reference, which is indeed vertical. I'm just now reading a book from the 50's where the German author constantly uses phrases like "horizontaler Greifer (vertical hook)", in order not to confuse "die Amerikaner."  I generally add the word "axis," as in "horizontal axis hook" to remove any ambiguity and avoid repeated "your horizontal is my vertical" elaborations.

Edited by Uwe

UWE,

I don't remember how many of the first versions had reverse. I am sure this could be a "RB-1. It does have the "M" size bobbin.

Wiz will certainly chime in here.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

That speed reducer box alone sells for close to $180, so you got yourself a good deal.

It looks very much like a Consew 206RB-? to me. Exactly which model level 1/2/3/4/5, I can't quite tell. With a little luck ,it's a re-badged Seiko STH-8BLD. If so it'll say Seiko all over the place on the inside.

Most people in north America refer to that hook as a horizontal axis hook, using the orientation of the hook's axis to classify.  Elsewhere in the world they use the hook's plane of rotation as the reference, which is indeed vertical. I'm just now reading a book from the 50's where the German author constantly uses phrases like "horizontaler Greifer (vertical hook)", in order not to confuse "die Amerikaner."  I generally add the word "axis," as in "horizontal axis hook" to remove any ambiguity and avoid repeated "your horizontal is my vertical" elaborations.

Thanks Uwe - I figured it was worth it  I will take a look inside and see if I can find any other identifying marks.  Just got it home and won't have a chance to look closely for a day or two.

22 minutes ago, Ferg said:

UWE,

I don't remember how many of the first versions had reverse. I am sure this could be a "RB-1. It does have the "M" size bobbin.

Wiz will certainly chime in here.

Ferg

Thanks Ferg!  From what I could find, I thought it could be a 205 or 206RB.  I will download some manuals and see f I can figure this out.  I bought it as a project machine!

Gary

It has to be a 206rb-3 or 206rb-4. the rb, rb-1 and rb-2 do not have the dial stitch length control. The 206rb-5 has the push button lock above the stitch length dial. Great find at a great price. You have to buy those deals when you see them or they will be gone.

32 minutes ago, JJN said:

It has to be a 206rb-3 or 206rb-4. the rb, rb-1 and rb-2 do not have the dial stitch length control. The 206rb-5 has the push button lock above the stitch length dial. Great find at a great price. You have to buy those deals when you see them or they will be gone.

Thanks JJN - I just finished cleaning and oiling it and everything glides so smoothly when turning the handwheel.  Just have to get the timing right because the presser and needle feet are out of sync.  When the needle is down the needle and center needle foot are moving forward instead of backward.

Excellent find!

Them reducers use to be 180.$:) so your doing great, you should have bought a lottery ticket also. Its been your lucky day  

Floyd

1 minute ago, brmax said:

Excellent find!

Them reducers use to be 180.$:) so your doing great, you should have bought a lottery ticket also. Its been your lucky day  

Floyd

Thanks Floyd - I have another opportunity to buy a table with servo motor, light, thread holder and other accessories - everything but the head - for @$150.   The servo motor is not a smart servo - it has the speed control Knob.  Anyone have thoughts about this for resale or use if I find a good machine head?

Gary

You guys are killing me! I barely have room for my Cowboy 4500, and now you have me craving multiple machines! I'm all about fixing and reconditioning stuff. I just have to say NO! I think. Mostly.

Jeff

BARGAIN!!!!! Grab the other bits too, for $150 you can't loose! Nothing wrong with a servo with the control knob, it's simpler to operate.

A new table without the motor will cost $200-$300 with shipping. The servo motor costs $110 - $150 delivered. If you have the room it is worth getting in my opinion.

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

You guys are killing me! I barely have room for my Cowboy 4500, and now you have me craving multiple machines! I'm all about fixing and reconditioning stuff. I just have to say NO! I think. Mostly.

Jeff

I hear you I have 3 sewing machines, I have to stay off craigslist when people are selling things for a quarter of the items worth how do you say no. 

Okay, you all convinced me - I will pick up the new table this weekend and use it for something!  This machine collecting is becoming habit forming!

Gary

Very nice find.

I have refurbished and sold a couple machines. I love "Having" them much to my wife's dismay.

When I sold my Seiko she said, "You aren't going to get another are you?"

I have so many toys!!!!!

Ferg

@garypl If you  suddenly need rid of the Consew. I am within a day trip drive from you. Laughing.

Enjoy your finds Sir. Hope the refurbish goes well. 

15 hours ago, garypl said:

Okay, you all convinced me - I will pick up the new table this weekend and use it for something!  This machine collecting is becoming habit forming!

Gary

Someone else snatched up the table and motor today before I could get away to meet the seller:)  Oh well, I saved a long drive and the trouble of then reselling the parts, so I am not too disappointed!

I spent 8 hours today cleaning oiling, and adjusting my 206RB-4.  It was quite a learning experience and I am happy to report that it sews beautifully!  It is so quiet and stitches look good using size 16 LR needle and 69 thread top and bottom.  See picture below (brown thread - 6 oz bridle and 2 oz goat) I overstitched by turning the workpiece 180 degrees.

Only problem I have is I cannot adjust the reverse stitch to match the forward stitch - reverse stitch length is smaller.  I tried to adjust the length by moving the feed regulator rod (item 35 in Consew 206RB Feed Regulator parts manual) but I could not get it to move to increase regulate the stitch length.  Can anyone offer advice as to how to adjust the stitch regulator?  Some of the other adjustments were hard to do at first, until I broke loose stuck parts that must have never been touched before.  Maybe the feed regulator rod is stuck, but I didn’t want to force it.

For $180 I will be happy even if I never get reverse stitches correct!

Gary

CF513289-6C20-4AA9-A376-609EF0EF8C22.jpeg

Very nice machine and motor.

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube about on a RB-5 which looks spot on like your machine, I'm pretty sure he covers the adjustments you're speaking of, and more. The 2 videos are like 3 hours but well worth the watch. Just skip passed the parts you know. I think the info you're looking for is in part 2. Hope this helps. 

You stole that machine lol, I thought i got a deal on my RB-1 @ $250 with table and clutch motor. 

Edited by Hooiam
Misspelling

Thanks Hooiam - these are the videos I watched first before I retired my machine - certainly helped me to understand the poorly written manuals!

I see the adjustment, but can’t seem to get the feed regulator rod to move and I don’t want to force it.  For now I am just turning the work 180 degrees and backstitching this way.  I am hoping one of the experts on here might be able to offer some advice!

Gary

Just a thought, I'd try some PB Blaster penetrating oil, I've used it in auto work for decades, it's the best stuff I've ever seen (next to a heating torch lol.) If it will break rusted bolts on an exhaust system loose, it should work on a sewing machine that's been kept out of the weather. Just spray it and let it soak in for an hour, reapply again and see what happens.

3 hours ago, Hooiam said:

Just a thought, I'd try some PB Blaster penetrating oil, I've used it in auto work for decades, it's the best stuff I've ever seen (next to a heating torch lol.) If it will break rusted bolts on an exhaust system loose, it should work on a sewing machine that's been kept out of the weather. Just spray it and let it soak in for an hour, reapply again and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip - I will try to find some locally!

Gary