Mic

Progressive lesson plans for summer camp?

I’m trying to begin a leather stamping / crafting station at our Girl Scout  service area camp. Neither I nor any other adult has extensive lw experience. But, I'm willing to fumble through it.

The goal is a multilevel skill progression so each year the girl could learn some new skill. Classes are 45*50 minute blocks with the possibility of more than one block assigned to the project. Ages are 5 years-18 years  Groups of 6-12 

I currently have purchased 8 mallets, 4 alphabets, and around 30 picture stamps. Two Arbor presses have been donated as well. One will be dedicated to rivet or snap setting. depending on the project.  

Can I have feedback on my plan?

5 years-6 years:   Learn tool names, stamp a sample piece and beverage coaster or bookmark

7 years-8 years:    Learn about design and repeating patterns (like a border), Learn about snap setting. stamp and sharpie color a sample piece and a bracelet, Measure and set snaps for the bracelet.  

9 yrs-10 yrs:  Learn about rivets  Learn about aligning and spacing letters to make words. Stamp and sharpie Color a key fob. Rivet the keyfob.

11 years-12 years:  Learn about cutting dies.  Learn about lacing.  Use a manual press to cut a shape.  Stamp, color, lace a small coin pouch or belt pouch or photo frame. Add necessary hardware.

13-14 years:  Learn about stitching. Cut, stamp, Color a pocket knife pouch or simple wallet.

15-18 years:  Cut, stamp, color. stitch a journal cover. Can expand to simple design carving for interested scouts.

Adults (yeah, need to keep them occupied. too):  Same project as they are chaperoning. Adults by themselves could pick any project or go by the year progression for their experience. 

Any tips, adjustments, suggestions?  Advice to saving $$$  and headaches? I'm trying to design a set of steel cutting dies to re-use between projects (cutout of photo frame is same size as journal cover, for example )  the consumable supplies will be paid for by camp. per scout, but I'm fronting the cost of tools for now.

thanks!

- Michele 

You will need some pieces of granite, marble or similar to use as a stamping surface, try some kitchen installers for sink cutouts, thicker is better IMHO.

And go with a small hole punch for the stitching holes. Diamond awls are about the most dangerous thing in my shop and I get bitten from time to time with a few years of experience. A small hole punch will be far safer, IMO. Since you will be lacing, maybe you could grab a set of diamond chisels along with the lacing chisels. Your progression seems pretty good, there is no wrong way and you have it set up for crawling before walking. :)

On 8/11/2018 at 4:00 AM, Rockoboy said:

You will need some pieces of granite, marble or similar to use as a stamping surface, try some kitchen installers for sink cutouts, thicker is better IMHO.

Would a poured concrete patio / walkway be sufficient?  I can have the kids sit on the ground.

Edit - and some poly cutting boards from the thrift store to put under their work (protect the stamp/punch)

Edited by Mic

On 8/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, battlemunky said:

And go with a small hole punch for the stitching holes. Diamond awls are about the most dangerous thing in my shop and I get bitten from time to time with a few years of experience. A small hole punch will be far safer, IMO. Since you will be lacing, maybe you could grab a set of diamond chisels along with the lacing chisels. Your progression seems pretty good, there is no wrong way and you have it set up for crawling before walking. :)

Good call!

Would something like this be appropriate to line up a row holes evenly, or is it better to do one hole at a time?

Image result for leather chisel lacing

That'll do for sure. Corners can be kept sharp, no need to round them. For a class, those should be fine, no need to get crazy technical about it until/if an interest to do more is shown.

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, Mic said:

Would a poured concrete patio / walkway be sufficient? 

That would depend on how rough the concrete is. Any roughness or texture will transmit through the leather and might affect the end result.

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:52 AM, Mic said:

poly cutting boards from the thrift store to put under their work (protect the stamp/punch)

I use an edge-grain timber cutting board for a surface to punch holes on. If I don't have access to my cutting board, I use the side grain of a piece of soft pine to protect my punches.

When I am cutting, I use kitchen cutting boards made from poly-something or a cutting mat. Maybe cutting will not be an issue for your participants, as knife-work might be done by yourself for their safety.

And I believe that the Leathercraft Library by Tandy has some Camp type projects and ideas that you can download for FREE to help expand some of what you are looking at doing.  You can get to it by visiting Tandy Leathercraft Library and then go to the Educational Lesson Plans section, you will find a Non-Tooling and Tooling category.

1 hour ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

And I believe that the Leathercraft Library by Tandy has some Camp type projects and ideas that you can download for FREE to help expand some of what you are looking at doing.  You can get to it by visiting Tandy Leathercraft Library and then go to the Educational Lesson Plans section, you will find a Non-Tooling and Tooling category.

Wow, Thanks!  I've never found that part of the site & the instruction sheets are well written.