ellis0403

Skiving machine - presser foot curve not in shape as bell knife

Hi everyone,  

Hope I have asked this question in a correct place.

I have a skiving machine.  Recently I have bought a new presser foot which is longer in length (5cm).  After installing it on the machine, I found that the bottom curve of the presser foot does not have the same shape or curve as my bell knife nor my feeder stone.  It seems that it is a bit narrower, which means there is still a thin gap in the middle after both ends of the presser foot touched the feeder stone.  I hope i have explained it clearly.  May I know how to solve this problem?  This problem has caused the thickness of the leather skived not in consistence.

Thanks in advance.

Ellis

presser foot.jpg

The foot is considered a wear part. The old manuals say you can send them in to be reground. I doubt anyone does this anymore and new ones cost enough that a bit of my own time is worth it. I've dressed feet by sticking progressively finer sandpaper to the outside of the bell knife with double sided tape to match the radius of the right edge to the radius of the knife. Then used sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to dress the inside taper leading down to the righthand edge and round the righthand edge over so it doesn't mark my leather.