Normally I hand stitched every bit of my wallets. I realize not everyone can afford the time spent and I am concidering stitching the inserts with my old singer machine. What is the best size thread to use for the inserts? Not sure what size this antique will hold, currently have the Extra Strong for coats inside it. Yes, the stuff bought at every fabric store. Will this be ok for wallet inserts, or is a bonded 69 better? Advice and recomendations please. 

F2553CFD-AC41-48DA-A9B5-A4BCB6ACA25A.jpeg

The bonded v69 nylon thread is going to be stronger. I would try V69 bonded nylon and see if you like the how it works with a # 18 needle. Also if you use a #18 size needle it will take v92 thread, stronger again.

kgg

I have made wallet "innards" with #69 thread and #18 needle, and also with #42 thread and #16 needle. Both still functioning well, last i knew.

gf.jpgThis one was made of 1 1/2 oz kidskin, pockets of fabric (so the cards only go in as far as shown), and #69 thread.

This was ONE side of a two sided "long wallet", done because the gal specifically requested this layout.  Otherwise, there are many 'pre-fab' innards available.

I wouldn't have bothered to make it if it was already available.  The Chaylor-Finelli inserts available at SLC are actually quite nice.

6 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I have made wallet "innards" with #69 thread and #18 needle, and also with #42 thread and #16 needle. Both still functioning well, last i knew.

gf.jpgThis one was made of 1 1/2 oz kidskin, pockets of fabric (so the cards only go in as far as shown), and #69 thread.

This was ONE side of a two sided "long wallet", done because the gal specifically requested this layout.  Otherwise, there are many 'pre-fab' innards available.

I wouldn't have bothered to make it if it was already available.  The Chaylor-Finelli inserts available at SLC are actually quite nice.

Do you know what # the generic extra strong thread is, found at Walmarts? It says its used for coats and denim. 

Nope, couldn't say -- but there's lotsa folks round here sew way more 'n' me, somebody will know.

17 hours ago, jrny4wrd said:

Do you know what # the generic extra strong thread is, found at Walmarts? It says its used for coats and denim. 

I have an old Singer treadle machine and bought the COATS brand thread from Walmart in #69. It's says its upholstery thread and I am sure it would be more than sturdy enough for the wallet interiors.

18 hours ago, Ed in Tx said:

I have an old Singer treadle machine and bought the COATS brand thread from Walmart in #69. It's says its upholstery thread and I am sure it would be more than sturdy enough for the wallet interiors.

Thank you. I will just have to stitch a few together and give it a pull test.