JerseyFirefighter

SLC.. why have thou opened this can of worms

Yup that's a winner for sure!!

Piece of angle iron with a cam lock on teh end?  That big table looks downright handy, though.

I was just wondering why they were cutting a perfectly good piece of leather in half like that.

YinTx

I would suggest they are cutting it to get the sizes people want to buy

A shoulder needs cut in two if you want to buy a half-shoulder, a whole hide needs cut in two if someone wants a side

Edited by fredk

8 hours ago, fredk said:

a whole hide needs cut in two if someone wants a side

And the shoulder comes off if you want a 'bend"

Question is, why that narrow kid bouncin' every one of em off the table?  Tenderizer? 

Edited by JLSleather

9 hours ago, fredk said:

I would suggest they are cutting it to get the sizes people want to buy

A shoulder needs cut in two if you want to buy a half-shoulder, a whole hide needs cut in two if someone wants a side

58 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

And the shoulder comes off if you want a 'bend"

Question is, why that narrow kid bouncin' every one of em off the table?  Tenderizer? 

As a matter of fact we are cutting them in to more of a piece that people like to buy. As the caption on the video suggests, we are cutting into Bends for $99 each (Wholesale).

I was taking pictures of this yesterday for the website and I can tell you this stuff is really smooth!

The video is just repeating, but I can see he needs to be a little more careful after making the cut and stacking them back up. I will pass the word on.

579-1500_SLC.3.thumb.jpg.060df61bf40736cd35505e2b7b279083.jpg

Edited by TonySFLDLTHR

Yeah, I was jus' ribbin' the boy ;)   Leather looks pretty clean from here, and the back looks pretty well trimmed.

I like to give him a little crap every now and then. So it all works out.

The backs are super velvety...I have some at my desk so I can rub it to calm down. ;)

This the link for them. If you need it split we will do that for free on call in orders this week as well.

That is more than some angle iron that cutter is really slick!

Razor blade and a couple roller bearings ...

so glad my vacation through missouri was the first of last month!  I wouldn't have made it past springfield and would've had to turn around and go home...lol

Fun toy! And I thought the strap cutter was magical...:lol:

On 01/08/2018 at 1:03 AM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

I like to give him a little crap every now and then. So it all works out.

The backs are super velvety...I have some at my desk so I can rub it to calm down. ;)

This the link for them. If you need it split we will do that for free on call in orders this week as well.

@TonySFLDLTHR WOW I love the cutting action on that device. Can I ask are the blades easy to sharpen or replace. Are they small special circular blades or like a Stanley or razor blade set up? Will it be possible to buy just the cutting device with out the other frame work. Being in Oz would be a killer on the frame shipping cost.

On 14/09/2018 at 1:37 PM, RockyAussie said:

@TonySFLDLTHR WOW I love the cutting action on that device. Can I ask are the blades easy to sharpen or replace. Are they small special circular blades or like a Stanley or razor blade set up? Will it be possible to buy just the cutting device with out the other frame work. Being in Oz would be a killer on the frame shipping cost.

Imagine that would make life easier to get your straight edge before cutting your belt straps, Brian!

1 hour ago, Wedgetail said:

Imagine that would make life easier to get your straight edge before cutting your belt straps, Brian!

Yes it would be magic in comparison as long as the blade sharpening does not need special equipment or the blades are cheap enough to replace. I just love good ideas like that but I guess in reality it would only save me 2 or 3 hours a month. Not really worth designing my own for that.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:37 PM, RockyAussie said:

It is a razor blade, so changing it out is very simple. Once we figure out if we can get them produced accurately and affordably, then I will have more information to share. However, I can't help but think we will sell it as full set up, just cutter, and just frame. 

8 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

It is a razor blade, so changing it out is very simple. Once we figure out if we can get them produced accurately and affordably, then I will have more information to share. However, I can't help but think we will sell it as full set up, just cutter, and just frame. 

Thanks for the answer Tony. Its a shame to have to get the whole contraption for some with low table space room and like myself 1/2 a world away in distance. The cutting device alone I am sure would be a big seller without the need to have a lot of storage room your selves I think. Either way I hope to see you get it going sometime soon.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the answer Tony. Its a shame to have to get the whole contraption for some with low table space room and like myself 1/2 a world away in distance. The cutting device alone I am sure would be a big seller without the need to have a lot of storage room your selves I think. Either way I hope to see you get it going sometime soon.

Sorry, I might not have been clear. I can see buying options as:

1. Full Setup (Cutting Device plus Clamp {if we even will offer the clamp})

2. Cutting Device

3. Clamp (if we even offer this)

9 hours ago, TonySFLDLTHR said:

Sorry, I might not have been clear. I can see buying options as:

1. Full Setup (Cutting Device plus Clamp {if we even will offer the clamp})

2. Cutting Device

3. Clamp (if we even offer this)

OK now I am hooked. Please give me a thought when the cutting device is a goer and let me know. Do you work with any agents/suppliers in Australia?

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

(if we even offer this)

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:31 AM, RockyAussie said:

Do you work with any agents/suppliers in Australia?

+1. I can see a need for one of these.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:35 PM, JLSleather said:

Piece of angle iron with a cam lock on teh end?  That big table looks downright handy, though.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:21 AM, JLSleather said:

Razor blade and a couple roller bearings ...

On 9/17/2018 at 8:57 AM, TonySFLDLTHR said:

It is a razor blade, so changing it out is very simple. Once we figure out if we can get them produced accurately and affordably, ...

Uhhh... that what I dun sayd.

I use a Logan 560-1 picture framing mat cutter to cut leather with - similar to what you Springfield is using, but just a bit smaller.  We do a some custom picture framing, so had it anyway, and I decided one day to try it on leather and it worked great with a couple of limitations - mostly the throat depth behind the rail limits how deep into the leather I can cut, it's about 7 or 8 inches for pieces larger than about 50" or so (they fit between the hinges), and the straight edge is 60" long, so big enough to do most of what I need to do.  Blades are inexpensive and pretty darn good out of the box, but I do strop them a bit. 

They also have the  Adapt-a-rule system that is not board mounted($65 on Amazon), so you can clamp the straight edge to your work surface and run a cutter along it ($21 on Amazon).  The longest they offer is 60", so reasonably large and without the throat depth limitation of the board mounted cutter that I use.

I also use a Fiskars rotary paper trimmer($48 on Amazon) for thinner leather up to about 12" wide.

- Bill