taketothetrees

Beginner's Questions...Again

2 hours ago, zuludog said:

Yes, that stitching line is just the sort of effect you want

The thing obviously works, but it would be a nice touch if you cleaned it up a bit

Yes, I agree about cleaning it up. I'll need to do some research on that. Wish I could remember where and when I got it. Love old tools. It's from some of my original kit I think. I'm really enjoying trying to get started again.

Thought you all may like to see the results of my practice using the C.S. Osborne tool to mark my stitch line. Pictured are all the tools I used today. Some items arrived yesterday so I put those to work along with some tiger thread that I just learned of reading through the forum. The small hammer I used for tapping down the stitches. A bit small but the only flat head hammer I have. This was my third practice session today and next I'll try linen thread that I'm more familiar with. The post is a thanks to you all for the help with my struggle trying to use a stitch groover for establishing the stitch line. Anyway, the practice has now been a pleasure and I think I maybe be able to learn to do an acceptable saddle stitch if I keep at it.  :thumbsup:

Yes, I did get extravagant on the BK awl but I love it. Sharp, sharp ( ask me how I know :rolleyes2: ) plus like the changeability for different blades. Now, I'll have to be serious about staying with it!

OG5TdXi.jpg?2

Edited by splinters

That looks really good. Nice straight line. Tension looks even as well.

bikermutt07, thanks for taking a look. Off and running now. :)

It looks nice & neat, but I wonder......are you using a lacing chisel or a stitching chisel?. I can't quite tell but it looks as though the prongs are flat, and flat in line with the body of the chisel; that would make it lacing. Also the stitching is all in a straight line

On a stitching chisel has the prongs have a diamond shaped cross section and are set at an angel to the body of the chisel. Similarly, the awl blade should have a flat diamond cross section, not round. This produces the distinctive saw-tooth or zig zag pattern of saddle stitching.

Still, it looks good, and if you're happy with it, fair enough

6 hours ago, zuludog said:

Many It looks nice & neat, but I wonder......are you using a lacing chisel or a stitching chisel?. I can't quite tell but it looks as though the prongs are flat, and flat in line with the body of the chisel; that would make it lacing. Also the stitching is all in a straight line

On a stitching chisel has the prongs have a diamond shaped cross section and are set at an angel to the body of the chisel. Similarly, the awl blade should have a flat diamond cross section, not round. This produces the distinctive saw-tooth or zig zag pattern of saddle stitching.

Still, it looks good, and if you're happy with it, fair enough

Hi zuludog,

You are correct that is a lacing chisel. I was looking for a diamond pricking iron but they were not in stock where I was shopping. So, still searching for a good pricking iron though but have discovered KS Blade Punch / Pricking Irons that really have my interest and consideration.  A bit on the dear side but after the Barry King awl set...…… :rolleyes: Ran across a review by Nigel Armitage who had very good things to say about them.

BTW, the angle the awl is in in the photo makes it appear as round but is in fact a diamond shaped blade.

The KS Pricking Irons are custom to your selection in metric sizes and number of prongs. They're made in South Korea so takes a couple of weeks to receive. Following is a photo of one of the KS diamond irons. 

I appreciate you checking out the post and your input. Many thanks.

ojKc0kl.jpg

Edited by splinters

I would like to try the ones from crimson hide that are like awl blades.

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I would like to try the ones from crimson hide that are like awl blades.

Alright bikermutt07, thanks for the heads up on Crimson Hide. I'll sure check out their pricking irons. If I learn nothing else in this return to leather work saddle stitching is at the top of my list for learning to do well. The symmetry of the stitch and beauty that some of you do is something to behold IMO. Hope I can get there too. It's one of the reasons I don't mind spending the extra wampum for tools that I think will help me get there. :)

Update: Have now found Nigel Armitage's "Pricking Iron Review Part 11 Crimson Hides". So, off to watch that video now.

Edited by splinters

4 hours ago, splinters said:

Alright bikermutt07, thanks for the heads up on Crimson Hide. I'll sure check out their pricking irons. If I learn nothing else in this return to leather work saddle stitching is at the top of my list for learning to do well. The symmetry of the stitch and beauty that some of you do is something to behold IMO. Hope I can get there too. It's one of the reasons I don't mind spending the extra wampum for tools that I think will help me get there. :)

Update: Have now found Nigel Armitage's "Pricking Iron Review Part 11 Crimson Hides". So, off to watch that video now.

Cool. I was about to suggest that video.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Cool. I was about to suggest that video.

Well, I do think Nigel has turned my head. :)  I see now why you have an interest in the Crimson Hide stitching irons. 

I sure like the way Armitage presents his material and will be returning to his videos. Was looking through his gallery too. Beautiful work!

Yep, he's a bonafide master.

Try watching IAN ATKINSON as well. His videos are fine examples of neatness and clarity

14 hours ago, zuludog said:

Try watching IAN ATKINSON as well. His videos are fine examples of neatness and clarity

Alright, I’ve added him to my watch list. Thanks.

One important point on saddle stitching, equal pressure, (pulling) on each side of the work is important. And if you do anything with thin/soft leather, don't pull too hard, the thread will sink into, and sometimes cut the leather between stitches. Or, so I've heard...

Jeff

If a person is diligent and pays attention to detail any beginner set of tools will work but as you grow and if you get some profit from a few pieces allot some of that money for not just better quality tools but a wider array. As I've made more projects I've found that better quality and a wider range of tools not only cuts down on time and frustration but allows me the free time to get more creative. I started by buying what I could afford and I've bent or snapped needles, bent stamps, tried to free hand cut half circles and slipped ruining a strap here and there. Beginner tools are fine but as time goes better tools prove their worth.

Down to choices now for the pricking or stitching irons, either Crimson Hide or KS Blade. Then, do I want to start with 6 spi (4 mm) or 5 spi (5 mm)? Need to decide which of either size I would find the most useful as my starter irons.  Decisions, decisions...….. :rolleyes2:

On 1/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, alpha2 said:

One important point on saddle stitching, equal pressure, (pulling) on each side of the work is important. And if you do anything with thin/soft leather, don't pull too hard, the thread will sink into, and sometimes cut the leather between stitches. Or, so I've heard...

Jeff

Thanks very much Jeff. A good piece of advice and experience.