Hello! I waited too long to start my cosplay for comic con, so the detailing on these are really lacking. They will be painted black once they dry- I am currently wet molding them on my dress form. (I know I probably should have waited to rivet until after I painted, but couldn't figure out how to make sure all the pieces stretched and formed together without the rivets).

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on how to keep these in place without any visible straps. They will be worn on top of a faux leather jacket, as shown in the cover art. Right now, my best idea is to glue some Velcro on the flesh side of the pauldrons, and then fasten the other half of the Velcro to the top edge of the jacket shoulders. I would welcome other ideas though, because I really kind of hate Velcro (and fear the glue won't hold)!  

LWShoulder.jpg

LWShouldersWetMold.jpg

throne-of-glass-cover.jpg

Short of removing the rivets and re-riveting the Velcro in place, you might consider stitching small pieces of Velcro between the rivets. Using very light weight cream colored thread. It wouldn't have very many stitches, like 3 or 4, just enough to tack down the Velcro.

Perhaps what this person did will work for you:

<https://www.tumblr.com/search/attaching armor>

You may also try lacing the armor onto whatever  you wear beneath it. In other words, there will be small holes (like grommets on your shoes) in the armor, or a small tab attached to the armor, and laces attached to the clothing. The lacing goes through the small holes and fastens the armor on. Looking at the armor you illustrated, I can see where this would work.
(this was actually how some armor pieces were fastened on, with what are named "points.")

Whats wrong with riveting these to the jacket directly?

I would think that the first consideration would be , "how permanent is the attachment"?  The second would be whether it's intended for static display (limited movement) or for full-motion depiction.  After you answer those two questions, then you can get a more definitive answer, and one that will better fit your purposes.

Did you make a jacket as well?