Sign in to follow this  
jbuckingham

Wrapping the end of thick leather cord

Hello. 

I'm pretty new to the leatherworking thing and learning through trial & error & digging around online. So this might be a simple one...

If I want to end thick leather cord (5-6mm let's say) like the examples below, how do I do it? Can't find any kind of tutorials. 

Also if I use braided cord how would I attach that to a clasp?

(Oh one more thing - what's the metal hardware on the dark examples called? The one that's like an open loop...) 

Appreciate any advice/links. Thanks all!

85a945896f1e58216a486723efd50937--wallet-chain-handmade-leather.jpg

743f36184b3ff56fd2e1c28592ac43a9--tan-leather-bb.jpg

il_340x270.1165592916_96mh.jpg

You can achieve results similar to the examples shown by whipping the two cords with some heavy thread. I'd probably stitch them together first for extra strength. For extra detail on longer runs try coxcombing.

Alternatively you could crimp on a ferrule, apply heat shrink tubing or stitch on a tight leather collar but I think a long whip will achieve the result you want best.

The whipping is rather simple

Start with the short end about three inches before you need to start the whipping, lay it down the length of the whipping area and a little bit more then  run it back up to the top again , so now you have one end plus the rest of the whipping cord at one end and a eye at the far end

Now as tight as you can run the thread around and down the area until its just short of the eye, cut the tread and place through the eye

Pull on the long tail at the start and pill the eye well into the whipping and cut off both ends left showing.  a drop of varnish or clear glue will keep it all tight and in place

You could hide a rivet etc under the whipping if you needed extra strength

This is a pictorial on how to terminate handlebar tape that details a method similar to what is described above.

http://www.cyclofiend.com/Images/rbw/pdf/original_twineforsite.pdf

original_twineforsite.pdf

The hooks are called fish hooks or open hooks, sometimes other names.  Google brass fish hook wallet clip.  You'll find lots of sources.

Edited by Tugadude
Trouble with link