Hi guys! Regarding using acrylic top coat for coating parts of my leather bag, would there be a safety issue? Im using Zelikovitz Acrylic Top Coat in Satin finish. It clearly says Toxic on the warning label. I understand this could mean the fumes while applying it as it does have a strong smell. 

I have a toddler around and I am concerned of heavy metal exposure because of the coating in some parts of the bag. 

With regards to it being on some parts in the bag that I routinely touch, would there be a safety issue with skin absorption with the dried up acrylic coat on the leather?

thank you!

6C82FAE9-9777-4E87-A43E-12A9D1657D46.jpeg

Dry acrylic is essentially plastic and should have no harmful effects.  I don't think this finish is acrylic, but without seeing the MSDS, I couldn't be sure.  Acrylic paints and finishes don't have very strong odors.

35 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Dry acrylic is essentially plastic and should have no harmful effects.  I don't think this finish is acrylic, but without seeing the MSDS, I couldn't be sure.  Acrylic paints and finishes don't have very strong odors.

Thank you! How do I get a copy of an MSDS? I have tried emailing the seller but no reply yet. :( Is there like a website database where I could look it up? I have tried googling to no avail. I’m sorry if this might sound like a stupid question but I’m fairly new to this...

I tend to believe that Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are only available for American products. This product seems to be Canadian.

3 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I tend to believe that Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are only available for American products. This product seems to be Canadian.

Yes. I called their toll free number and they didn’t seem to have one. :( I do hope this is safe though considering I put it on handles and such and with a toddler around... 

13 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

ah, right.  I figured it was just a relabeled Fiebings product or something.

A. Data sheets on materials are a world wide requirement; but often only available from the manufacturer, rarely does a on-wards seller have them, but many do. Email or write to the manufacturer directly. Failing that; In N.I. we have a Health & Safety Executive Office, if you have something similar in your local town hall they can obtain the necessary data sheet. Anything marked Toxic must have a data sheet available to anyone who asks and in most cases it must be provided within 3 to 6 hours of asking

B. 'Acrylic' refers to the resin. The carrier for the resin can be water, alcohol or cellulose. A mask should be worn whilst spraying any of these as the acrylic resin hardens to a sold when in the lungs. A strong smell on this might indicate its cellulose carrier based. Brushing on, sponging on or dipping, only good protective gloves need wearing. The fumes do not carry the resin

C. When the acrylic resin is set and hardened it is an inert plastic; not toxic at all

Edited by fredk

So far everyone has hit the key points and concerns I believe so I won't repeat any of that.  But, for the future, if you are going to be doing leather work around a toddler might I suggest that you purchase some water-based products so that this will not be an issue down the road?  Fiebing's makes a complete line of Low VOC and water-based products that are much better than any of the competitors out there and they have been doing much longer as well; when you are purchasing foreign based supplies you are at the mercy of the suppliers (from all levels) as to whether or not you are really getting what you purchased.  For example, the bottle that you have displayed for us is in English and French so it is obvious that it comes from a Canadian supply line.  However, you may end up finding that this product was actually made in China or one of the other Asian nations for distribution overseas and that could lead down a totally different path when it comes to the chemical composition.  Canada typically has some pretty detailed safety rules in place much like the U.S. does but once you start pulling product from Asian, South American, or former Soviet satellite nations you will find that a large portion of their content is much less safe because they don't have as restrictive manufacturing processes; it is all about the money first and safety is way down the list.  Not meant to slam anyone or any foreign nation, this is just the reality of global business and the supply chains.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:11 AM, fredk said:

A. Data sheets on materials are a world wide requirement; but often only available from the manufacturer, rarely does a on-wards seller have them, but many do. Email or write to the manufacturer directly. Failing that; In N.I. we have a Health & Safety Executive Office, if you have something similar in your local town hall they can obtain the necessary data sheet. Anything marked Toxic must have a data sheet available to anyone who asks and in most cases it must be provided within 3 to 6 hours of asking

B. 'Acrylic' refers to the resin. The carrier for the resin can be water, alcohol or cellulose. A mask should be worn whilst spraying any of these as the acrylic resin hardens to a sold when in the lungs. A strong smell on this might indicate its cellulose carrier based. Brushing on, sponging on or dipping, only good protective gloves need wearing. The fumes do not carry the resin

C. When the acrylic resin is set and hardened it is an inert plastic; not toxic at all

Thank you! Very informative. I appreciate your help! :)

On 8/5/2018 at 8:24 AM, NVLeatherWorx said:

So far everyone has hit the key points and concerns I believe so I won't repeat any of that.  But, for the future, if you are going to be doing leather work around a toddler might I suggest that you purchase some water-based products so that this will not be an issue down the road?  Fiebing's makes a complete line of Low VOC and water-based products that are much better than any of the competitors out there and they have been doing much longer as well; when you are purchasing foreign based supplies you are at the mercy of the suppliers (from all levels) as to whether or not you are really getting what you purchased.  For example, the bottle that you have displayed for us is in English and French so it is obvious that it comes from a Canadian supply line.  However, you may end up finding that this product was actually made in China or one of the other Asian nations for distribution overseas and that could lead down a totally different path when it comes to the chemical composition.  Canada typically has some pretty detailed safety rules in place much like the U.S. does but once you start pulling product from Asian, South American, or former Soviet satellite nations you will find that a large portion of their content is much less safe because they don't have as restrictive manufacturing processes; it is all about the money first and safety is way down the list.  Not meant to slam anyone or any foreign nation, this is just the reality of global business and the supply chains.

Thank you! I have learned my lesson. Will definitely be more wary of my choices now :)

Acrylic is just acrylic, mate. This type of plastic is literally surgically implanted into people, it's fine for use on leather goods.

The cosmetic surgery industry literally uses raw acrylic plastic micro-balls to inject under the skin for cosmetic procedures as a soft tissue filler. Its also used to make dental prosthetics. It's even used in certain types of bone cement. It's just about the most inert, safe plastic you can find. about the only risk with this stuff would be an intestinal blockage if you eat too much of it...