Lindy

Adjusting stitch length Singer 153W103 alternate method

Trying to figure out how to adjust the stitch length in a way other than with the manual states. As you can see by the attached photo, that’s just not going to work. If anyone can help me out I sure would appreciate it.

0F1E029B-1662-4F90-93B1-45704C19F114.jpeg

The following assumes that your machine had a screw in/out device on the back of the flywheel and the threads are stripped out. There is a long rod stitcking into the machine with a sharply tapered end, like the pencil point, but steel.

Flip open the top cover. Rotate the handwheel slowly. On one end you will find a double sew screw set. The other side has a cap screw that holds a badass spring and ball bearing in place. You absolutely don't want to unscrew the cap screw! Rather, unscrew the top set screw on the other side. Inside is a second set screw that sets the stitch length. Screw in down to increase and out to decrease the stitch length. Reinstall the stop set screw when you get the right stitch length. Then oil the moving block assembly on that offset assembly.

7 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

(A&B)The following assumes that your machine had a screw in/out device on the back of the flywheel and the threads are stripped out. There is a long rod stitcking into the machine with a sharply tapered end, like the pencil point, but steel.

Flip open the top cover. Rotate the handwheel slowly. On one end you will find a double sew screw set. The other side has a cap screw that holds a badass spring and ball bearing in place. You absolutely don't want to unscrew the cap screw! Rather, unscrew the top set screw on the other side. Inside is a second set screw that sets the stitch length. Screw in down to increase and out to decrease the stitch length. Reinstall the stop set screw when you get the right stitch length. Then oil the moving block assembly on that offset assembly.

Here's a pic of it.Like Wiz says you don't want to loosen the larger screw w/a spring under it ,the smallers ones(A&B in diagram) are down in a hole(casting) Turning it to the left is smaller ,right is longer.

old style stitch lemgth 001.jpg

Edited by CowboyBob

Here's a video I made some time ago when the same question had come up on another Singer 153 machine that had a non-functional stitch length knob.

Thank you all. Upon further investigation someone has rigged the machine at a set stitch length by wedging a pin in the slot. The adjustment and set screw are both missing.  

Will any type of set screw work?

If so, what size am I looking for?

Thanks  

A4B51A51-90D0-4D12-B3A7-8A1591E83D1F.jpeg

The adjustment screw won't work unless it has something inside that hollow main shaft to press against. You'll have to slide a suitable rod inside the shaft AND find an adjustment screw. 

Screw sizes on old sewing machines are notoriously difficult to determine (especially if the screw is missing) and often impossible to find in a store.

I'd be tempted to try and replace the shoulder bolt+nut that goes through both parts (just above the "0" marks) with a regular bolt+nut. A suitable regular bolt+nut may allow you to clamp the two parts together and fix them in various positions to change stitch length. Cumbersome, but workable.

Edited by Uwe

Lindy;

Give Bob Kovar (who replied to you earlier) a phone call on Monday, when he's in his shop (Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines). He knows the pitches of all the screws used in Singer industrial sewing machines and has all manner of spare and replacement parts. His shop # is: 866 362-7397

Thanks guys.  I’ll try Bob tomorrow.

The video was great Uwe. 

This seems to be a common problem. Thanks for that video, Uwe.

If I turn the screw, nothing changes. Should that nut and bolt above the O's be loose or tight? It looks like you have movement there, where mine doesn't move.