Horsewhishper

How to lace

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice. I have spent alot of time perfecting my saddle stitch and have gotten to where I am pleased with my work, now comes time to delve into lacing I have never really done lacing and have no tools for it. So any advice on tools to get and techniques and tips.

Thanks 

You'll need lacing chisels, some lacing needles, lace, and a fid to start.  Depending on the kind of lacing you want to do, you may need a lace beveler as more complex braids tend to get bulky without beveling your lace.  I learned mexican round braid here:  http://www.kingsmerecrafts.info/page100.html  

Single loop and double loop are also popular and I think that site also shows how to do them.

Here are sone examples of round braiding.  You can see the bulky edges of the lace in the second picture.  This is why beveling lace is a good idea.

12004693_1627176950881700_6549803314527408095_n.jpg

11200779_1627176814215047_4408036488557402769_n.jpg

12003909_1627176204215108_6095013397431037439_n.jpg

Wow just wow it looks amazing thank you for the reply. Any brand of lacing chisels you would recommend

I am certain you will find this helpful. https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1123-lacing-and-stitching-for-leathercraft.aspx

It has very good pictorial instructions for several different styles of lacing, how to start, how to splice and how to finish.  I keep it beside me when I'm lacing, mostly to make sure I get the finish right.

Tgis is an example of typical double loop lace on wallets.

2018-08-02 18.08.jpg

Eric thanks for pointing me to the Tandy book.. I meant to download it many times and finally did. Nice work by the way.

Mike that's all amazing work as usual.