Coffee... it's the secret to my leather work. :coffeecomp:

Made this for myself in a little gap between some larger orders. (Nate is my nickname.) Also, this is my first time making a leather handle so please critique where needed.

Let me know what you think.

4946374205896774349.jpg.3213b4afc3a1c01eeef84608e8f2e768.jpg3684428841115347654.jpg.67d8490c7006823678d63f4d41dd12f3.jpg3831903665479149340.jpg.5cf6cee82d8b9eb60de42797dc398117.jpg

I'll try and get some better pics later.

Pair of bison hide working chaps coming soon.

-Ryan

Nice work there. Haven't been able to have a coffee for years but sure love the smell....

coffee.jpg

Another beautiful piece of work, Ryan.

Haha! Thanks, @YinTx!

@TxLeather I go by whatever comes to mind first. I have 4 siblings whose names start with S so my mom often accidentally calls me Snate. I'm also known as Nate the Great. People who don't know me personally call me by my real name, Ryan. You can call me RolandRanch'sRowdyRangerRyan. ;) 

Just now, Rohn said:

Another beautiful piece of work, Ryan.

Thanks!

Very nice work again whatsyournameagain

I'm kinda a worried about the attachment and form of the handle. Is it riveted on? The handle sits nice now but after a bit of time that top curvy bit will bend upwards, caused by the weight. Without a re-enforcement inside it I think that curved handle will straighten out when the top joint bends upwards

I see a future for you as one hell of a figure carver.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I'm kinda a worried about the attachment and form of the handle. Is it riveted on? The handle sits nice now but after a bit of time that top curvy bit will bend upwards, caused by the weight. Without a re-enforcement inside it I think that curved handle will straighten out when the top joint bends upwards

Agree about the handle flexing.  I have made a few similar cup holders for Yeti style tumblers.  After a bit of trial and error I have settled on sandwiching a strip of rawhide in the handle.  That seems to work very well.  I first tried Kydex, but after a few months of use the Kydex snapped.

I really like the design pf your handle though.  And as always, your carvong and tooling are beutiful.  Great work.

My only critique is that I need to work harder. A LOT harder.

Another super clean and well made piece of work Nate, or 5R ;)

On 8/6/2018 at 11:27 AM, fredk said:

Thanks!

It is not riveted on. Just sewn.  I see what you mean now. At the moment it's not bad but I can see how time would make it worse. There is a rope inside the handle for stiffness and shape.

I will post some pics soon.

Looks great

I also express concern for long term use on the handle. I would think that putting less flat between the curved handle to where it attaches would make it stronger for long term if you did not use anything to re-enforce it.

the only other thing I am curious on is how low it sits on the cup itself, if it will give it an angle over time and use.

Here are some more pics.

20180808_085320.thumb.jpg.5bed84a868a80ff7d5b4bad708ee4fbe.jpg <<Full of coffee

20180808_085517.thumb.jpg.9592243b44c8d130c37f1a3c087c07ba.jpg

20180808_085451.thumb.jpg.dc2bca598ee966d6a3787e8a02e0f4ab.jpg My dad feeds this curious Raven so he's the king of the front yard... or so he thinks. He seems to like my koozie, though.

Now I need a raven!

Nice! Both the work and the raven :lol:

"caw" fee.....

Just now, plinkercases said:

"caw" fee.....

I'm trying to think of a clever reply to this...

3 minutes ago, Rolandranch said:

I'm trying to think of a clever reply to this...

Black Cawfee....

Yintx

Nice work, too!

Caw means thank you and Caw-fee means thank you for paying!

1 minute ago, YinTx said:

Black Cawfee....

Yintx

Nice work, too!

excellent

Beautiful.    I agree about the handle maybe an area of concern.   What if you did it more like they do on ladies handbags with handles and no shoulder strap?  Those are put under a lot of stress via weight in the purse, and use of the handles.

A suggestion/idea to re-enforced the handle, especially at the top end. Undo the stitching of handle to Koozie. Make a piece of metal, preferably brass, or steel or aluminium, in a S shape turned sideways, long on the lower bit. It only needs to be about half the width of your handle. Slide the bottom of the S into the handle and catch the upper part under the stitching of handle to Koozie.

This will take the upwards strain. The metal will resist and help keep the handle in the shape it is now.

I had to do something along that line when re-enforcing some dagger scabbards which wanted to twist due the weight of the daggers. I used thick brass sheet sandwiched in the leather.