DV8DUG

Overpriced Stamps?

Am I crazy or is $40 for a James Linnell 1/2" stamp seem a bit steep for a single stamp? I thought Tandy was bad at $27 for their top of the line stamps...

Is there an alternative source for the dragon scale patterns? If I were to spend that much on a single stamp, I would end up stamping EVERYTHING with it to justify the cost... LOL

$40 is not expensive for a quality stamp in my book. Linnell stamps are a completely different class of quality than anything Tandy has put out since the 60's. If $40 bothers you don't bother looking at any of Bob Beards stamps...

However, for some very nice quality stamps for Dragon scale look up Sergey Neskromniy on Facebook

Designing, prototyping, manufacturing and retailing a tool to a small, niche market can be surprisingly expensive. The setup costs (which will be similar if you sell 10 or 1000) are spread across far fewer customers so the unit cost simply has to be higher. Those stamping tools look to my untrained eye to be very carefully made -- there's crisp lines where you want them and the (for want of a better term) drafting angles are varied, smooth, and in places curved and radiused. In other words, made with care and skill, which are expensive.

Commission a die engraver to make you one of these and he'll probably charge you more than $40 just for the quote ;-)

1 hour ago, Mark842 said:

$40 is not expensive for a quality stamp in my book. Linnell stamps are a completely different class of quality than anything Tandy has put out since the 60's. If $40 bothers you don't bother looking at any of Bob Beards stamps...

However, for some very nice quality stamps for Dragon scale look up Sergey Neskromniy on Facebook

I’ve got one of  Sergey’s dragon scale stamps and it works like a charm!

Sergey is much cheaper than Jim Linnell and he was the originator of that and many other stamps that are now being copied by others.  I have many stamps by Sergey and they are quite nice.  However, top level stamps are $$$ and usually you get what you pay for.  Sergey is the exception and its because his production methods are cheaper with brass with a steel handle vs an all steel stamp.

Hi

Realizing that I'm being Doktor Fronkenstine and resurrecting the dead, but how do the Brass  and steel stamps last?  I broke two Tandy Meander stamps, at $7 a piece and Barry's stamps are a lot more, but have already lasted longer.  His are all steel.

Later

Barry King are great stamps and worth the extra $$!

O.K. Can you post of picture of the Dragon Scale Stamp.  I'd like to see what it looks like.

Yes, that's too much. If it's made in the US that's fine but otherwise we are just paying for his shipping and fees to make off shore. As a hobbyist I wouldn't feel bad for picking one up at that price. If you're looking to make money, it is no bueno. 

I like the way Sergey's are made.   Look for them at Springfield leather instead of amazon,  price is lower

001.JPG.81fd49f1f999c046459d08a1a0ee7f7c.JPG

I think Sergey stamps are all made by multi axis milling machines and designed in Cad. not sure about the other makes, the cheap Chinese sets are most likely just stamped or moulded

Many companies in many industries establish a name years ago and use that to justify high prices, that are not always the outstanding quality or innovation they once were by todays standards