JLSleather

Cons, hype, bull-oney 'n' stuff

This appear on Cutesy this morning... so much for that "get what you pay for" crap ;)

"This Holster fits my Sig P320 X-Carry perfectly. I had a problem finding the Proper holster fit and after talking to Jeff I found it was exactly what I needed. the quality is equal to holsters costing much more. Great buy!" .. Richard

Yes. I think that quality being reflected in price ended decades ago. GENERAL STATEMENT!

I cannot see a picture, if there was one...was the holster poorly made? 

:blink: It'll be okay.

Moved to leatherwork conversation since there are no pictures to show off, and we don't have a bragging section :)  You provide quality for an affordable price, but I believe your holsters are priced appropriately.  Simple, effective, and well made without any hype at all.  

18 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

quality for an affordable price, ... priced appropriately

Meh.  That would make anything LESSER quality, at or above that price, OVERPRICED.  Without debating whether my - or anyone else's - price is "fair", that does seem to substantiate what I said ... the price does not determine the quality.

"Show Off" is for pics. Got it. ;)

17 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

That would make anything LESSER quality, at or above that price, OVERPRICED.  

Not sure I agree with you there, but kudos on your customer compliment!  Always good to get positive feedback from a happy client.

I don't understand" it'll be okay" in response to my question? I just asked if the holster was poorly made? I figured it was, but in a lot of things you still get what you pay for.

2 hours ago, Alexis1234 said:

I don't understand" it'll be okay" in response to my question? I just asked if the holster was poorly made? I figured it was, but in a lot of things you still get what you pay for.

Alexis, I think the OP made the holster, so he's being modest in his response to you.  His work was great, and the customer called him out on it.  ;)

Jeff, I once sat through a pricing exercise by a... ahem.. Harvard professor, first time I'd ever heard one of them folks in person.  The company I was with at the time had brought him in to help us build a pricing scheme in a tight market.  The one thing that stuck with me was his question to us, "What is a fair price?" and after a bit of banter around the room, he clarified "Fair to whom?"  Followed up with "an item is worth what someone will pay for it."  A lot of math followed, our corporate profits shot up, the company was sold, and I had to move on to greener pastures.  :blink:

If your customer base says that your quality matches another price bracket, then you can consider moving into that price bracket, if you so desired.  Congrats on such positive customer feedback, it means your work is top notch, and they see it.  As leatherworkers, it is easier for us to notice your work is high quality, for the general populace to notice is awesome.

And yeah, you don't always get what you pay for!  Good to know your customers do, tho!

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Followed up with "an item is worth what someone will pay for it."

Kinda IS the bottom line.  I got a slightly different "marketing" speech, since the guy talking was a bit like me -- CRAZY intelligent but not particularly diplomatic :blush:

Guy wants to insulate his walls.  So he reads up, decides he needs to put holes in the walls, blow in the insulation from the top, filling as you go.  Goes to the hardware store, tells 'em what he wants to do. So the kid takes him to the drill aisle.  This one, simple version, is $19.  This next one has reverse, it's $29.  And this one is variable speed and reverse, $39.  And this next one has a "hammer drill" function, it's $89.  By now the guy is unsure which way to go -- he doesnt' want to have to come back, but doesn't want to spend more than he needs to.

So teh question is, WHAT does he actually NEED?@!  The vast majority of people answered that the $19 drill is all he needs - no need to get all that other stuff.  But he doesn't need a drill at all -- what he NEEDS is HOLES IN THE WALLS, you were just told that a couple minutes ago.  The rest was just "marketing" hype distributed by somebody who feels the need to sell you something HE has.

There will be some who CHOKE at the thought that I'm offering something nice for LESS than they are - always been that way.  I had people get MADDER 'N' A WET CAT when I poured my buddy's new sidewalk for a pork chop on the grill.  More than one person bout went NUTS that day a couple kids showed up at the fishin' hole and I gave em some terminal tackle.  I'm thinkin' SO WHAT if it cost me $5 to see some kids havin' fun!  And that one fella got all irate when I smooched his girlfriend. Wait.. that one might have some merit :blush:

Sometimes I say something to that "get what you pay for"... often just let it go - ya kaint fix stupid.  I do know that I have never been in the line at the store, found something on sale, and asked if I could just pay the REGULAR price (cuz 'on sale" would make it 'worth less', right?).  I have taken discounts for buying bulk.  I can get leather from HO at $8, or I could get it from a retailer where it's jacked up somewhere between 20-50% more.  At HO, or at the retailer, isn't it the same leather?  HOW is it worth more?... Ahh... talkin' to myself now ;)

Incidentally, this is the holster he received (front).

9a.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

YinTx, thank you for the clarification- I understand now :)