Squilchuck

Who makes trees from Dennis Lane measurements?

I get no response from Dennis Lane about who currently makes trees from his pattern system. I know Bowden makes them, and I got some names from Big Sioux in another forum.  Anyone else?--John

A year or so ago I tried several places that were supposed to know how to build them. But they all said they didn't.

I think perhaps the Knikkles on this sight might use it.  But they are in Canada. A tree gets pretty expensive with shipping and taxes to  southern calif.

Im selling all my saddle building tools from my shop. I repaired and rebuilt quite a few cheap quality saddles, but  I never even got to use the Lane system I bought.

No one around here wanted to pay for the parts alone, let alone a saddle custom built.

It's to hard to sell custom quality saddles here in southern calif.

at least for me.

22 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

I think perhaps the Knikkles on this sight might use it.  But they are in Canada

Rod has retired from tree making I believe due to arthritis in his hands.  He has a website with lots of tree information at http://www.rodnikkel.com/content/

Tom

Dusty Smith at https://wyosaddlesandtrees.com uses the system, as do a lot of the hand makers. I know Bowden does but I don't know about any other production makers. It is getting more commonly recognized.

What is this system y'all are talking about?

You take several measurements of the horse's shape along back using a series of templates w various arc shapes.  Give the numbers to tree maker and they replicate shape. Look up Dennis Lane saddle tree system in Australia, or similar words. There is a video out there too. -John

Edited by Squilchuck
Typo

A lot of the handmade tree makers I've spoken with are familiar with the Lane cards and have used them to cross reference their trees.  The two makers I work with can translate the Lane numbers to the various tree configurations they make.   They don't build trees specifically to correspond to the many Lane card numbers and combinations that are possible, rather they understand the back type the cards have indicated.  The Lane cards are an excellent tool to evaluate horses and communicate with a tree maker.  The cards are also a good tool to educate clients, often times to convince them their horse falls into one of several typical back shapes.  Next to having a few varied trees on hand to use for fitting, it's the best resource I've used.