Josh Ashman

Rose & Cross on Lefty Threepersons

My lovely wife is a lefty so when I accidentally cut a Threepersons holster out backwards a few weeks ago I wasn't too worried. It came out pretty good for what would have otherwise been a mistake. :)

10/11 HO, Fiebings Oxblood dye on the ends of the petals and cross, Fiebings antique black top coat of M&G cut 50%.

Thanks for looking and have a great day! 

011.jpg

016.jpg

025.jpg

Now that is nice! What I would call understated elegance. Not having any border decorations really makes the carving stand out.

I like the grips on the gun, they look a bit antiqued?

Nicely done.

Excellent work, . . . 

AND, . . . I love the grips, . . . they add much to the overall image..............

The little touch of red on the rose petals, . . . making it look like it once was fully bright red, . . . but only the touches remain, . . . EXCELLENT !!

May God bless,

Dwight

Another beautiful piece. And a nod to the handles as well. Thank you for sharing.  

Beautifully matched leather and gun. You had what Bob Ross called a "happy accident" and it turned out very well.

Josh...great work, per your typical. It's always nice to be able take an accident and make something good come of it...in this case, it gets to stay close to home for the missus! I share the other sentiments...that's one fine lookin' hog-leg! The holster compliments it very well!

Thanks everybody! I was just playing around with the oxblood dye, I hadn't done that before but I thought it turned out nice. The grips came from Buffalo Brothers, their website is www.buffalobrothers.net and they were easy to order from. These are their "old ivory" color with an "antique" finish. The pistol came with a nice enough set of wood grips but they had "NRA" laser carved on the side. I'm an NRA life member and fine to support them, but not the right thing at all for the grips on a SAA :)

Have a great day everybody! 

Very nice work there, Josh. As a lot of you folks know, the Threepersons' style was always one of my favorite projects over the years, including recreation of the original carving pattern based upon old Tom Threepersons' original holster. Truly a classic design!

I'm also pleased to note that Josh understands the proper use of the hammer thong. So many folks seem to struggle with a simple concept! Two or three twists in the thong, then drop it over the hammer and the tension created by twisting will keep it in place nicely.

Best regards.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, Josh Ashman said:

Fiebings antique black top coat of M&G cut 50%.

Please explain this so I understand. Thank you..

For anyone who might be interested, I applied some Light Brown then wiped off. The lighter colour I wiped off straight away, the darker one I waited a few seconds. I then wiped over with some alcohol to remove as much as possible. Looks like it has possibilities.

stag ageing 1a.jpg

stag ageing 2a.jpg

That is a very nice holster and I agree with everyone else, those grips look great, and then you combine the whole package and you have some excellence. Super nice combo even before the rose petal tips! I like it all quite a bit.

Thanks Ray & Battlemunkey!

Pretty interesting Dikman! I bought a pair of elk stag grips for a 1911 from Ray a few years ago and used wood stain to darken them up. My process was just as you noted above. If I had another pair of light colored stag grips and wanted them to be darker I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

14 hours ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Please explain this so I understand. Thank you..

Bullmoose,

I should have had a comma in  there. Fiebings antique black (comma) top coat of M&G cut 50%. 

Meaning, I dyed it with Fiebings antique black (I use the liquid acrylic type that comes in a bottle, not the paste that comes in a jar. Although I have used both over the years, I just like the liquid type better) then I top coated it with Mop and Glo cut 50/50 with water. This is something I picked up from a member named Katsass and I have been happy with the results. I do give it a final wipe down with liquid glycerin saddle soap so it smells like a leather product not a kitchen floor. :)  

Have a great day folks! 

@Josh AshmanThe M&G threw me. I know about that formula. It just did not reboot when I read it. It's my intention to transition to that formulation upon finishing the bottle of Bag-Kote we now use. 

Thank you for your knowledge and openness about your work. Hope your day goes well also. But you make great works from supposed mistakes. That ability can't make for so many bad days.

Be well.   

Wow, that is a beauty !! I love the colour combo and the grips are awesome !!

Very nice!