samNZJP

Saddle Soap Application Methods

Hi everyone,

Recently I've been using fiebings paste saddle soap to finish my edges and I've come across a few problems.

So I use canvas to apply the saddle soap to my edges however it can spread around and sometimes cover my stitching. While I don't really want to dig small pieces of saddle soap out and around of my stitching, it's worse when you have white stitching and your yellow saddle soap discolors your stitching...

Also, I use a hand dremel with wooden attachments to burnish after applying saddle bar soap which works great, but I'm not sure how to attach canvas to a hand dremel and use paste saddle soap to finish my leather. Any ideas?

Sam

Make a solution and apply it with a graffiti drip pen.

I just use my index finger and a lot of patience to make sure I get the soap just on the edge, and I try to do an initial "work in" by hand before using canvas or a wood slicker.  

As for discoloration, you can buy Fiebing's SS in a white paste that does the same job as the yellow and doesn't discolor anything.  http://springfieldleather.com/Saddle-Soap-White-3-5oz

Good luck!

Use the bars of glycerin saddle soap.

Also, saddle soap is soap and is water-soluble.  You can clean up the edges and stitching by cleaning, eg with a damp sponge or brush.