Well, I finally made the plunge yesterday. Tandy had a sale on the Pro Hand Setter, and with my discount, it was significantly reduced. I already had a lot of the sets for it, as I'd been planning on using my Harbor Freight press, but couldn't find a way to keep the sets aligned well and using the 2D/3D stamps and alphabet stamps was a bit wonky. This setter has a table with rear guide rails that are adjustable and will really improve accuracy. I can also put hole punches and stitching chisels in it. I tried it out with many of the sets last night, and was impressed. No more clinching over rivets! I still need to get the Segma snap sets and wide rivet set. Line 20 and 24 I have.

The only issue I see is they don't provide a way to lock the angle of the alphabet and 3D stamps to keep them aligned with the piece. The Tandy video on using the setter with alphabet stamps shows the guy mis-aligning the first letter very noticeably. I'll have to get into my engineer mode, (yes, be VERY afraid), and see if I can come up with something.

Jeff

handpress.JPG

Okay, I tried this with the Craftool stamp alignment device. No luck. No way to keep the device, stamp, and leather aligned with each other. Looks like I'll have to keep using the alignment tool with a mallet. Too bad, that would have been amazing. Mostly because with the proper setting on the hand setter, you can get a consistent stamp depth with an "I" and an "X". With just the aligner and mallet, you have to remember to use more effort with the other stamps, and less with the "I". Just how much less is the problem. 

Jeff