Am I the only one that is completely distracted by the fact that the hammers are both pulled back in these pics?

called cocked and locked..... Only way to carry a 1911

MD - those look great!  What type/weight leather did you use?

I agree, cocked and locked is the best way to carry a 1911.

Gary

3 minutes ago, Treed said:

Not really. hammer pull should be part of your draw muscle memory. Cocked and Locked is one of the biggest reasons for accidently holstered fires of hammer inclusive pistols and becoming considered very irresponsible in the carry community. 

Just now, 3DReefer said:

Not really. hammer pull should be part of your draw muscle memory. Cocked and Locked is one of the biggest reasons for accidently holstered fires of hammer inclusive pistols and becoming considered very irresponsible in the carry community. 

I respectfully disagree - I think lack of practice and carelessness by the person are the biggest causes for AD’s.  Been carrying/using 1911’s for over 40 years with no AD’s.  

That is why I normally recommend to new or casual shooters to use a DA revolver unless they plan to practice regularly and become proficient with a semiauto.  Everyone should do what they feel comfortable with, but safety should always be number one priority regardless of type of firearm being used!

Gary

56 minutes ago, 3DReefer said:

Am I the only one that is completely distracted by the fact that the hammers are both pulled back in these pics?

Only way to carry a 1911 in my opinion. One less thing to do if you have to use it. Also, that is what the safety is for.

44 minutes ago, garypl said:

MD - those look great!  What type/weight leather did you use?

I agree, cocked and locked is the best way to carry a 1911.

Gary

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!  I use 5-6 oz for front and back of holster, and then the liner is 2-3 oz cowhide. I cut the liner back around the belt loops though.

20 minutes ago, SwordslingerCustomHolsters said:

Thank you very much! I appreciate it!  I use 5-6 oz for front and back of holster, and then the liner is 2-3 oz cowhide. I cut the liner back around the belt loops though.

Thanks MD - now that you mention it, I don’t see any belt loops - did you cut them after you took the picture?

Not sure I understand how you cut the liner - do you have any pics?

Thanks again for posting!

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Thanks MD - now that you mention it, I don’t see any belt loops - did you cut them after you took the picture?

Not sure I understand how you cut the liner - do you have any pics?

Thanks again for posting!

Gary

They are called hidden belt loops. Cut in the back before glueing a d stitching. The liner is cut back before gluing that way it doesn't go all the way to the edge. Allowing the leather to bend easier around the body.

I appreciate the comments!

Screenshot_2018-08-11-12-39-27.png

1 hour ago, SwordslingerCustomHolsters said:

They are called hidden belt loops. Cut in the back before glueing a d stitching. The liner is cut back before gluing that way it doesn't go all the way to the edge. Allowing the leather to bend easier around the body.

I appreciate the comments!

That’s interesting!  Still don’t understand how the belt gets past the pistol, but it looks good!

Gary

Very nice work! The stamping and inlays are a nice touch. Your loops seem to work similar to the way that Lobo GunLeather does their Enhanced Pancake and Avenger style holsters...Ray Cory was the first on here that I recall doing that...was perhaps the one the originate the design. It's a really smooth look...I like to do it on my holsters as well.

Those of us that live with 1911's daily as our boon companions know that anything other than Condition 1 carry is best left to that fictional TV/Netflix sheriff in Absaroka County, Wyoming :rolleyes2:

23559811_1139121002889197_7781920430297393311_n.jpg

23559911_1139121129555851_660626161655019103_n.jpg

Edited by Double Daddy

I too get a bit edgy seeing 1911s cocked and holstered but I am mainly ignorant to them. 

Regarding the OP's work, it is really nice. Is that double stitched or some fat thread? Also, those hidden loops are really nice. I don't know if I've seen them before but it adds a different bit of flash to a holster. 

This holster is a real beauty!  I love the alligator insert. 

There is only one way to carry a 1911, condition 1 cocked and locked.  I carried mine that way for over 10 years. By the way, I am of the opinion, that there is no such thing as an "accidental  discharge" there are however Negligent Discharges.

I have to agree about the holster, it looks great, and I enjoy the hidden belt loops and inlay. I'm glad you said that was your first post, and most recent holster, because if that was a first holster, it's way too good. 

I also have to agree that condition 1 is the safest way to carry a 1911. When carried locked & cocked, there are 4 mechanical safeties (3 if it's a series 70) engaged: grip safety, thumb safety, half-cock notch, and firing pin block. A 1911 carried in condition 1 is as safe, if not more so, than a Glock. Condition 2 (hammer down on a loaded chamber) is the most dangerous (due to having to drop the hammer on a loaded round without a de-cocker). Also, if you're carrying a series 70 in condition 2, the firing pin can be activated by a blow to the hammer (which is resting on the firing pin). Condition 3 or 4 are safer, but then you have to cycle or load the weapon in order to be able to use it (making the overall safety reduced since you don't need to draw a weapon until you absolutely need to draw the weapon and use it immediately).

Nice holsters I'm especially in love with the OD green and black 1911. I hate to pile on but yes, 1911 is safe in condition 1, AKA Cocked and Locked with three safeties built in (2 automatic and one manual) it may be the safest pistol in the world.

Here's minecondition 1.jpg

Condition One.  I am an Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Certified F/A Instructor and have been for almost 20 years.  The only positive way to carry a 1911 style pistol.  Training is the key.  Gunsite is a good place to go for that training. Education and Constant Practice and you will never have a problem. 

On August 11, 2018 at 6:13 PM, 3DReefer said:

On August 11, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Treed said:

On August 11, 2018 at 6:28 PM, 3DReefer said:

On August 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM, battlemunky said:

I too get a bit edgy seeing 1911s cocked and holstered but I am mainly ignorant to them. 

Regarding the OP's work, it is really nice. Is that double stitched or some fat thread? Also, those hidden loops are really nice. I don't know if I've seen them before but it adds a different bit of flash to a holster. 

6 minutes ago, East50Leather said:

Condition One.  I am an Indiana Law Enforcement Academy Certified F/A Instructor and have been for almost 20 years.  The only positive way to carry a 1911 style pistol.  Training is the key.  Gunsite is a good place to go for that training. Education and Constant Practice and you will never have a problem. 

I carried a 1911 on the job like this for 20 years.  It is the only recommended was as noted above, but I ALWAYS got comments about  it from civilians.  Freaks people out.  Oh well.  By the way, love the hidden loops!  That is some BEEFY thread though.  Was it hard to stitch?

@byggyns explanation cleared it up for me. I'm no stranger to firearms, just the 1911. Hearing the  double redundant safeties makes me feel less edgy. I also wondered why you always see 1911s carried that way.