EmilyEstelle

First project: Dog Collar

Hi,

I've been lurking here for a little while.  Figured I'd actually contribute instead of hiding in the proverbial hedges and peering out at you all from between the leaves.

A little about me:  I'm from Wisconsin, (I literally live down the street from where I grew up, so I've not strayed far...)  I am a care worker, have been for probably 15 years but I have an odd assortment of talents/interests.  I'm an artist/graphic designer/illustrator (freelance it when I have time).  As an artist, I'm really interested in tooling - Its like sculpting and drawing and painting all rolled into one.  I also train/rehabilitate horses (and dogs) whenever I get the chance.  I have wanted to get into leather work for a long time and never really could manage it.  My line of work pays badly, and leather and tools are expensive so I'm getting to it a little later than I'd have liked.  I would like to start making horse tack.  Bridles/headstalls, breast collars, and eventually saddles, but you know, start small.

So the first thing I've made (aside from a rather bad wrist band that my husband wears out of charity) is a collar for our little dog Oscar.  It turned out ok, except I didn't measure to the center of the band to punch holes for the rivets so they are a bit off center.  At any rate here it is.  (Probably should add: I'm obviously up for constructive criticism/suggestions!)

Emily

Oscar's Collar.jpg

Edited by EmilyEstelle

Looks good to me. I like the paw prints on the buckle holes. Really nice touch 

Agreed, looks ok to me, especially for a first piece! Oscar has to feel special! I made a collar for my sister's dog and it turned out to be allergic to veg-tan :( It tore his neck up and all the hair fell out and was raw. I felt horrible although it was no fault of mine.

Thanks, I can think of a lot of things I'll do differently next time, but its not bad for a first try.  I was going to attempt basket weave on it but its only 3/4 inch wide.  Maybe on something a little bigger...

@battlemunky  Oh no! That's awful...  The poor dog!  :(

Agreed.That is why I felt so bad. My dog-nephew got this really solid gift from his people-uncle and it messed him up. He's all healed up like nothing ever happened and we know he can't have veg-tan directly on him.

That's nice. The paw prints on the holes are awesome :) I also don't have a lot of income so I can suggest a couple of things that have helped me. Ebay sell some 40 piece leather tool sets for $30 - $40 that contain all you need to get started including stamps, needles, thread, and a bunch of other bits. I got a big side of thick leather from a local tannery that wasn't perfect for $30 AUD. I use a cheap stanly knife or hobby knife kit to cut out my shapes. I've not made much yet but I have plenty of leather left. I will eventually get better quality tools but for now these cheap ones are doing ok. 

Yeah that was the route I went too.  Then I needed a skivver that actually worked and a strap cutter.  Replaced a few things in the kit that were utter crap with slightly less crap options... They are not good tools, but they get the job done for now and I'll just replace them as I am able. Looking for a reasonable basket weave stamp and need a new hammer... But we all have to start some where I guess.