MY63

3D printer recommendations

Hi 

I am looking for an entry level 3D printer for making small items such as a one off stamp or small mould for leather work.

thanks in advance

The tevo tarantula, anet A8, or the creality 3d ender would all be good choices and all are under $200 on gearbest

I have a Tarantula and it works well enough BUT it comes as a kit and needed a bit of work to get it working properly. If you want to just plug it in and print do not get a kit. If, however, you like a challenge (and knocking your head against a brick wall!) and want to learn how these beasties work then a kit is the way to go.

The ones I mentioned above are all kits btw sorry I forgot that! If you want plug and play you might look at the M3D micro+ or the XYZ Da Vinci or da vinci jr they are all reasonably priced (under $350 i believe) and do the job fairly well after playing with them

@jpounders95 I also am thinking about getting one soon. Definitely want a plug and play. What do you mean by "do the job fairly well after playing with them"?

The quality of the print ranges from what material you use and what settings you use on it. IE: playing with the bed temperature and the nozzle temperature as well as the feed rate to get it to lay down the smoothest layers possible 

I purchased an Anet 8, and after watching tons of videos and reading tons of post on the FB group page on what I needed to buy and or print to make the unit more sturdy/reliable I sold it and purchased a Monoprice Select 2 for about $250 off Amazon. Took less than 5 minutes to set up and I was printing my test print. Had it well over a year and no complaints. I don't have anything against kits, My CNC Machine was a kit. (X-Carve), but it just seemed like there was a ton of work and mods needed for the Anet 8 Kit and I just decided a plug an play would serve me better. YMMV

Karina

@jpounders95 Thanks for the suggestions as @dikman said I am done with banging my head against a brick wall I would really like plug and play where possible a little assembly is ok.

I have done some research on line and have a couple of specifications I would like the first being a heated bed and the second is the ability to use A B S along with other filaments.

@veedub3 your recommendation looks perfect I would like to make single use stamps and maybe the odd mould for leather in your experience is that possible with this printer.

Thanks everyone

Michael

On 8/19/2018 at 12:12 PM, MY63 said:

@veedub3 your recommendation looks perfect I would like to make single use stamps and maybe the odd mould for leather in your experience is that possible with this printer.

Thanks everyone

Michael

Yes, it is possible with this machine and I have done both with success. I used my 3D printer all the time for this until I got my CNC machine. Now I make those items using HDPE and or Delrin that will hold up much, much longer, in a fraction of the time. My 3D printer is now used to make the odd part I need that I can't just go out and purchase. For what you are wanting  to do, it will definitely do the job, and the learning curve is not too bad.

Karina

2 hours ago, veedub3 said:

Yes, it is possible with this machine and I have done both with success. I used my 3D printer all the time for this until I got my CNC machine. Now I make those items using HDPE and or Delrin that will hold up much, much longer, in a fraction of the time. My 3D printer is now used to make the odd part I need that I can't just go out and purchase. For what you are wanting  to do, it will definitely do the job, and the learning curve is not too bad.

Karina

Thanks Karina I appreciate you help

Had a thought last weekend regarding a 3d printer.  Since then, been watching YouTube videos and trying to learn about 3d printing as I know FA about them.  Is this idea feasible?

I thought it nice when a customer arrives in me shop with, for example, a knife or a pen set and rather than leave these with me for weeks, I scan and print them to use for a custom sheath or case? The customer takes their item along with them.  It would seem that I could theoretically print patterns as well.  I generally use poster board, but the smaller pieces either get lost or tear and the larger pieces wear after time.  A plastic 3d printed pattern would last longer and it's additional weight would offer less chance of moving or sliding and hold the leather down as well, albeit a wee more than poster board.

I do worry that with a knife, the 3d printed blade would be to slim or flimsy to work with and essentially break whilst working with it for a proper fit into the leather.

Is this idea really doable or is this really as complicated as some of the videos I've watched indicate?  I am truly interested.

One other thing is all the printer upgrades that seem to be needed.  Seems one buys the printer, scanner, and programme, but the printer seems to warrant upgrades to make them better.  Is that true as well?

Thank you all in advance for the thoughts.

Cheers!

Are you talking about 3D scanning? if so it's certainly feasible but expensive. As for upgrades, it depends what you buy. If you buy a kit then the chances are that once you understand what you're doing you'll want to improve the printer as many of the kits will be functional but can be improved upon. Not necessary, but if you'r a kit builder you probably won't be able to help yourself!

On 9/2/2018 at 2:04 PM, dikman said:

Are you talking about 3D scanning? if so it's certainly feasible but expensive. As for upgrades, it depends what you buy. If you buy a kit then the chances are that once you understand what you're doing you'll want to improve the printer as many of the kits will be functional but can be improved upon. Not necessary, but if you'r a kit builder you probably won't be able to help yourself!

This seems like more effort than I was hoping.  I appreciate your insights.  Perhaps I'll wait a few years and revisit this idea.  Cheers!