spacedog

Viking raiders WIP

I started working on a gorget with some viking boats going over choppy waves. The boats we not too hard to figure out, but the water and waves ended up a lot more difficult. If anyone has some experience or a good method for water I would love to hear it.

IMG_4871.JPG

Hi,  I might be able to help a little with the water.  Its easier if I show you on your own piece of art what I'm talking about so I hope you don't mind if I drew over the top of it..

First, because of the perspective your longboats are at, there would *likely* be a horizon line behind them at some point, which I added.  The big waves became the mid-ground, they show you how wild the ocean is.  Because the swells you made were so large, and you implied a lot of big splashing, that should carry over into the rest of the water.  Adding some whitecaps makes it look windy, stormy, wild.  Toward the horizon the waves are almost indiscernible, but they should get larger and more pronounced as they get closer.  Where the boats are breaking the waves, the water breaks at the prow, spraying up, and back.  Just adding some lines that show motion helps with that.

Hope this helps, and hope you don't mind me drawing over the top of your image. D:

Emily

waves and horizon.jpg

Wow! Gorgeous! Both of them!

5 hours ago, EmilyEstelle said:

Hi,  I might be able to help a little with the water.  Its easier if I show you on your own piece of art what I'm talking about so I hope you don't mind if I drew over the top of it..

First, because of the perspective your longboats are at, there would *likely* be a horizon line behind them at some point, which I added.  The big waves became the mid-ground, they show you how wild the ocean is.  Because the swells you made were so large, and you implied a lot of big splashing, that should carry over into the rest of the water.  Adding some whitecaps makes it look windy, stormy, wild.  Toward the horizon the waves are almost indiscernible, but they should get larger and more pronounced as they get closer.  Where the boats are breaking the waves, the water breaks at the prow, spraying up, and back.  Just adding some lines that show motion helps with that.

Hope this helps, and hope you don't mind me drawing over the top of your image. D:

Emily

Thanks Emily. This helps a lot. I had some of the splashing around the left boat, but need to do the same for the rest. The wave caps look great, and the horizon line too. Hopefully I can fix this now. Thanks very much.

Again, a big thanks to Emily. I think your suggestions made a big difference.

Here are a couple photos to update:

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

On 2018-08-12 at 2:54 PM, kiwican said:

I like this

Thanks.

On 2018-08-12 at 7:56 PM, ScoobyNewbie said:

Wow! Gorgeous! Both of them!

Thank you.

Now the sea and waves turned out very believable. Great work! 

Hey, that is looking great. I look forward to seeing it complete and in use.

Mad skills!

That is a vast improvement :)

Amazing!

Such a helpful community -- you got some great instruction there, and it looks really nice!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I took an extended break from this project due to frustrations with it. At any rate, I finally pushed on and finished it. I dyed it fairly dark, maybe too dark, but I am happy with the result. It is a costume piece, not intended to be real armor. I hope you like it.

P1020259.JPG

20 hours ago, Sceaden said:

Beautiful work!

Thanks.

That looks really cool

7 hours ago, EmilyEstelle said:

That looks really cool

Thanks.

OUTSTANDING !!!!  and again Thank you , like you I had to take a break but this will prompt me to start again .