Another sheath for another of the knives I made. Went for a pancake sheath with sort of goth style. First time trying this style of sheath and took me two attempts. First one I failed by having the stitching too close to the blade profile so when I put the knife in, it cut the stitches. Second try I was sure to leave at least 5mm clearance either side of the blade and it works perfectly.01.thumb.jpg.62c693b43510a2c49aa61d6f3ed949de.jpg02.thumb.jpg.6c1f561fad67b565776fd847522f7089.jpg

OH! Cool!

1 hour ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

OH! Cool!

Cheers Scooby :) I'm pretty happy with it.

If it is a good sharp blade it will eventually cut your threads again unfortunately unless you built the second version with a welt. blades have even cut out of the sheath when there is not welting in the design and that is a danger to the carrier more than a concern for a ruined sheath.

That said that is a very cool looking design all round.

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

If it is a good sharp blade it will eventually cut your threads again unfortunately unless you built the second version with a welt. blades have even cut out of the sheath when there is not welting in the design and that is a danger to the carrier more than a concern for a ruined sheath.

That said that is a very cool looking design all round.

Ahhh bugger. Not even sure what a welt is. I got the idea from a youtube video besides changing the shape and design, I followed the same procedure. 

Very cool. But you will need a welt. All a welt is is a layer of leather in the shape of the sheath/blade, that is wide and thick enough to protect the stitching. Maybe this will help.bushcraft_knife_sheath_WIP_0008.jpg.87ba71351c8ba460648e603ebb3f0d4b.jpg

That strip goes between the layers of the sheath and is stitched through like normal. But it adds thickness so the blade edge runs along the welt instead of cutting your stitches.

3 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Very cool. But you will need a welt. All a welt is is a layer of leather in the shape of the sheath/blade, that is wide and thick enough to protect the stitching.

That strip goes between the layers of the sheath and is stitched through like normal. But it adds thickness so the blade edge runs along the welt instead of cutting your stitches.

Thanks for the heads up Stetson912 and Plinkercases. I googled the welt. Seems only logical now I know what it is. Looks like ill be remaking the sheath. I will improve the position of the spider and use lighter coloured thread while I'm at it.

Still did a killer job though. Just a thought, I could see a red hourglass on that spider btw haha

2 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Still did a killer job though. Just a thought, I could see a red hourglass on that spider btw haha

LOL Yea I was thinking the same thing once it was complete. I'm glad to be able to have such useful info given to improve my work. This is my second sheath and 2nd lesson learnt. My first sheath looks good but it doesn't have a welt either and it was pointed out to me that it would sit too high on the hip for some people. So I now have two sheaths to remake. Strange thing is I'm somewhat looking forward to it haha. The internet is an awesome thing.02.thumb.jpg.e34dc586b620b507fc82feb3680a2120.jpg

Have you seen Ian Atkinson on YouTube? He makes a few sheaths start to finish on there.maybe worth a watch

Just subscribed to his channel the other day. Haven't watched a lot yet.

These are good books if you are a blade and sheath maker. Internet is great but its nice sometimes to have a book on the bench as you work through something.

sheath making.jpg

Edited by plinkercases

Thanks for that Plinkercases 

I have remade this sheath today. I just have to complete the belt loops tomorrow and than Ill post the pics.

Looks cool. I like. Ian is awesome.

That looks really cool. You can probably use that sheath still even and just add a welt to it. Did you glue/cement them together?

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

That looks really cool. You can probably use that sheath still even and just add a welt to it. Did you glue/cement them together?

Yea I glued them. I have remade the sheath but have now ran into another problem :/

I made another sheath and added the welt as advised. Spider is centered better and is now a redback. But I now have a problem with my dye. I dyed the piece, let it dry and than when I put the clear sealer gloss stuff on it took some of the dye away leaving an uneven washed away look. Can I remove the finish somehow and try again? Or do I have to scrap it and try for third time lucky?39277162_537685476665928_6084223681939111936_n.thumb.jpg.29e52182a45e511f15ad74f390acbcfc.jpg39221048_1779309288815188_3146717521810292736_n.thumb.jpg.c9d5b1615fc896648ebd3a08eca69c59.jpg39188268_229313231092915_7038173233056579584_n.thumb.jpg.c8a1c49db4aee0db8a79b5dd5f9d4532.jpg

Edited by mick86

I would'nt feel too bad about it looking "washed out" I think it looks great and the welt looks good tucked down in there like that.

Nice, that'll work.

I don't think the dye job looks bad. What dye and finish are you using?

Nice rework of an already good design.

Edited by plinkercases

If you are really offended by the color, you could always apply antique as a last ditch effort prior to donating to the scrap bin.  Or just simply dye it black.  Useable, but not the original intended look!  I think it came out pretty cool.

YinTx

Thanks every one. I posted the same thing on Facebook and got similar feedback. Everyone likes the way it looks so I am pleased about that and will leave it as is. Its strange that this texture came out on the sheath for this knife because the knife itself had the same issue. I wanted it to have a black finish on the blade but it just wouldn't take a consistent patina so I just let it do its own thing. And Just like the sheath people loved the look of the random finish. So I'm very pleased. Thank you all for your input.

First knives to sell White 01.jpg

i would get some ferric chloride for putting a patina on your blade. Cut is 3 to 1 with distilled water and you will get a consistent finish after it is etched for a few minutes.

Totally bad ass package. I like the spider sheath especially. The second knife just looks like it was born with purpose and intent. Thank you for sharing.