Here's something fresh off the bench.

These are bison leather shotgun chaps for a cowboy friend of mine. We were rounding up cattle in heavy thickets and he needed chaps badly. Our shirts keep getting torn but I don't think I can fix that. 

This leather is great working chap leather because it is very tough but supple enough to be comfortable but it is a little scarred.

He was very pleased with them.

Let me know what you think. Comments/critique welcome.

20180810_170548.thumb.jpg.f74ae0f133dd6fa809287e37f60653de.jpg20180810_170624.thumb.jpg.e813d389057d87b8f5edc0bae86110ff.jpg

20180810_170556.thumb.jpg.6fe1c1b5ecbbebe72bcccea876767c23.jpg

20180810_170731.thumb.jpg.825ef7fe0ac8503dbec9f7bf54eb1519.jpg

Ryan - those look great!  I like the carving you did - must have taken a long time to complete.

Only critique is the belt on the back side - the light color doesn’t match the nice tan of the rest of the leather.  Why did you leave it lighter?

You are a busy guy - keep up the good work!

Gary

Quality looking work...as usual from you. The initials subtly placed into the serpentine border are a nice touch. Being from the NE GA mountains, I have almost no need or experience with this type of gear...no critiques from me on that front...but like garypl, I like the stamping work.

Beautiful work as always.  You are certainly very talented.  Where do you find the time for everything you make?

Excellent work and you left your friend a few holes to grow into !

I would agree the back belt could be tanned so to speak but it will weather and blend in in no time.

Outstanding as always! I had to go back and find those initials that Double Daddy mentioned. Nice job.

Jeff

Beautiful work as always. I love working with bison. I do have a question. 

Never having seen a set of chaps on a person except the farrier who used to shoe my brother in laws horses.  What are the rings on the backside for?

Thank you for sharing.     

You sir are very good, how long have you been in the hobby? 

Outstanding leather work.  

Really good work yet again Ryan! I picked up some bison remnants and I didn't like it for making wallets. I totally see where they'd make a good garment or bag though being pretty soft temper and all.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:22 AM, garypl said:

Ryan - those look great!  I like the carving you did - must have taken a long time to complete.

Only critique is the belt on the back side - the light color doesn’t match the nice tan of the rest of the leather.  Why did you leave it lighter?

You are a busy guy - keep up the good work!

Gary

Thanks Gary! It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to tool one yoke. Funny you noticed the belt. I hadn't oiled the belt and set it out in the sun like I did the yokes. So you can see the difference the sun does after you oil it. Anyways, it got oiled and sunned and matches the color very closely now.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:55 AM, Double Daddy said:

Quality looking work...as usual from you. The initials subtly placed into the serpentine border are a nice touch. Being from the NE GA mountains, I have almost no need or experience with this type of gear...no critiques from me on that front...but like garypl, I like the stamping work.

Thanks. I was wondering who would notice the initials first. :) 

On 8/14/2018 at 6:05 PM, Sofaspud said:

Beautiful work as always.  You are certainly very talented.  Where do you find the time for everything you make?

Lol. If I'm not doing school or riding a horse, I'm doing leather work. It's work I enjoy so I make as much time for it as I can.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, plinkercases said:

Excellent work and you left your friend a few holes to grow into !

I would agree the back belt could be tanned so to speak but it will weather and blend in in no time.

Lol that's me in those chaps. :) I'm a 30" waist and my friend is a 34" waist (they fit him perfectly). They are on the tightest holes on both sides and still barely fit around my waist. haha! Like I said in a previous response, the belt has already blended. 

On 8/15/2018 at 6:01 AM, alpha2 said:

Outstanding as always! I had to go back and find those initials that Double Daddy mentioned. Nice job.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

On 8/15/2018 at 6:23 AM, bullmoosepaddles said:

Beautiful work as always. I love working with bison. I do have a question. 

Never having seen a set of chaps on a person except the farrier who used to shoe my brother in laws horses.  What are the rings on the backside for?

Thank you for sharing.     

Thank you! The rings are for tying things to such as pigging strings. That way you can rope cattle without carrying your piggin string in your mouth. I have rings on my chaps and they come in real handy.

4 hours ago, Horsewhishper said:

You sir are very good, how long have you been in the hobby? 

Thanks. I've been doing leather work for about 2 years.

1 hour ago, RegisD said:

Outstanding leather work.  

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Really good work yet again Ryan! I picked up some bison remnants and I didn't like it for making wallets. I totally see where they'd make a good garment or bag though being pretty soft temper and all.

Thanks Monkey! Yeah, not the best stuff for wallets for sure! They're quite durable but at the same time comfortable because they are soft and have some stretch to it. 

4 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Lol that's me in those chaps. :) I'm a 30" waist and my friend is a 34" waist (they fit him perfectly). They are on the tightest holes on both sides and still barely fit around my waist. haha! Like I said in a previous response, the belt has already blended. 

LOL - Last time my waist was 30” was when I was discharged from the USMC 46 years ago!  

Gary

Nice work! Hope the first pair of chaps I make come out that nice.

As for the shirts, would leather vests of any sort be helpful? (Sorry if that's a silly question. I haven't the slightest idea of what you have to do to round up the cattle)

10 hours ago, garypl said:

LOL - Last time my waist was 30” was when I was discharged from the USMC 46 years ago!  

Gary

My waist (waste?) was 32 for a long time... at the belt line but surprising getting larger north of the equator... the numbers are getting closer together now but not due to any reductions.

Roland all the holes make sense now that its for a larger fella. I am sure the whole set will age very well. I love seeing the photos of the vintage chaps that have seen real use but held up and weather with real character.

Very nice work as usual. Nice job on the tooling.

Beautiful work! I'm curious where you source your bison? 

Has anyone ever come across veg tan bison? 

Is that part of your range land in the one picture? No wonder you guys get torn up riding through the brush!
You need arm chaps, too! 

Great job. They look good enough to go to town in....:crazy:

On 9/8/2018 at 2:01 PM, Sceaden said:

Beautiful work! I'm curious where you source your bison? 

Has anyone ever come across veg tan bison? 

Thanks!

I got mine from Tandy. Not sure about veg tan bison. 

-Ryan

On 9/8/2018 at 4:25 PM, DJole said:

Is that part of your range land in the one picture? No wonder you guys get torn up riding through the brush!
You need arm chaps, too! 

No, not my range unfortunately. I was just helping at that ranch.

That was the clear spot. There were places where it was so thick we had to get off our horses and work our way through it. It seems I only have two options... make a suit of armor or toughen up. :) 

-Ryan