Sheilajeanne

Dyeing Porcupine Quills

Have any of you ever worked with quills? They suggest you heat the dye to help the quills absorb it. Of course, I have LOTS of leather dye, but since it's mostly alcohol based, I am not sure if heating it is a good idea!

What are your thoughts?  I COULD just use regular fabric dye, but it doesn't make sense to buy more dye when I already have so much leather dye!

I haven't worked with them.  Test a couple maybe?  If you don't like the results I think I would look at products intended for wool. 

What I really want to know is how safe is it to heat the dye? I'm thinking it's something I should probably do outdoors, as the fumes aren't going to be the safest thing to breathe in!

Instructions say it MUST be kept below the boiling point or you will ruin the quills.

Originally, quills were all died with naturally sourced colours from berries, etc.  Raspberries, blueberries, dandelion for yellow, tea, coffee, etc.  No problem with combustible fumes, and smell is a lot better for most.  Have fun.

Tom

The MSDS sheet for Fiebings Alcohol dyes warns against any open heat source. So probably not the best idea. 

https://www.zackwhite.com/assets/images/msds/Fiebing_Leather_Colors.pdf

May I ask where one sources quills? I have a friend who was hunting some a few months ago.

Also I would love to see the project when complete. Dyed quills would be awesome I think.

Good luck and thank you.

It's not too difficult to find porcupines dead on the side of the road where I live. I carry a pair of pliers in my car just in case.

The first one I found died during the winter up at the military base where I walk my dogs. I managed to get him just as he was thawing out, and before he started to decay.

You can buy the quills on the net, but why do that when you can get them for free? :lol:

Try diluted food colors from the grocery store,they work pretty good and cheap with no fumes.

OK, I'll be the dumb one to ask, what the heck do you use porcupine quills for ?

Mark D

Native Americans used them for decoration.         Image result for porcupine quillwork