Jack142

dog treat pouch

I have a 7 month old pup, that I am working on training. I have been putting her treats in my pocket. I'm real tired of digging the crumbs/pieces  out of my pants. So, I made a simple pouch to put the treats in. 5 in wide, 3 in tall, 4 oz leather. no flap, the strap slides between my belt and pants. I did have a small problem in that the stain wouldn't stain in one area. Don't know why. Don't care, its for me , and its works real well.

SADIE02.jpg

SADIE01.jpg

SADIE04.jpg

SADIE03.jpg

Pretty cool! Sadie says to pack it full, she'll figure out what to do with them!

Nice job!

thank you both. it was fun to make.

Cool idea! I'm sure our dog would approve too.

its easy to slip behind my belt, and Sadie knows whats in it. It is actually a good training tool.  I used light veg tan leather, I thought it would be "less stiff" than it is. And doing the two tone dye was fun. I just wish I could figure out why the dye didn't take in a couple of spots

A nice thing to solve the problem.

Did you prep your leather before dyeing? I give mine a wipe over with a clean rag dampened with cellulose (aka lacquer) thinners to remove any surface contamination. Even some grease from your fingers can leave contamination which will prevent dye penetrating properly

I didn't this time. In the past I have washed the leather with bartenders cleaner, then a coat of neatsfoot oil.  This time I just started making it. I realize it could be a number of things that stopped the dye from adhering.  I have also washed leather with denatured alcohol.

Lucky Sadie! I'm pondering something like this, but ned it to be abel to close. 

Just found this thread going down the list on the home page. Unbelievable. I just took my new dog, (picked her up in Laramie on Tuesday) Sadie, for a walk, and before going out, tried to decide whether to take a shotgun shell caddy for treats. Must be my nearness to Aurora sent the vibes! Now I know how to make a leather pouch. 

Jeff

sadiepic.jpg

Small world, FT Collins, wow,   pic of my sadie.

crop2.jpg

my sadie...they look to be about the same size, mine's 30 lbs. of sqwurel chasin' machine.

picforpetlink.jpg

Edited by alpha2