Hi everyone,

This is my first post here on the forum, so I apologize if I didn’t put this in the right place. Sorry for the length, I just want to give all the info I can to get the best advice. Thanks in advance for your time!

I recently picked up a side of matte-ish black Horween Essex for a custom tote order. The tote was made and shipped and I started using the rest of the side for a crossbody bag with an alligator flap.

I checked in yesterday with the tote customer to make sure she was happy and she said she was, but she’d noticed that the color was rubbing off on her white pants. She didn’t have this problem with her first tote from me last year and I’ve never had this problem in the 3 years I’ve been working with Essex so I was surprised. 

Out of curiosity, I went over to the alligator and Essex bag that I just finished up and rubbed it with a scrap of light colored T-shirt and sure enough quite a bit of color came off. Obviously, I’m concerned that not only does a customer have a tote that’s leaving color on her clothes, but in the meantime I have just finished an expensive, fairly time consuming hand-stitched bag (my first using alligator) that’ll be rubbing on someone’s shoulder and hip. I can’t have it leaving big black marks on someone’s clothes. :( I wouldn’t even try and sell it if I know that’s a possibility.

Now that the bag is done, what can I do to try and seal it? The edges are all painted with Vernis edge paint so I’m nervous about getting any kind of solvent on them and having that turn into a big mess. 

I tried buffing the whole bag with a soft cloth to remove excess color, but the color transfer hasn’t stopped. 

I thought about using Resolene, but I’m concerned about (a) being able to apply it consistently and not having it gum up since it’s all finished and 3-D and not an easy flat surface and (b) won’t it make the matte black really look shiny and plastic-y? I liked the way it looked before with the soft finish. It made the gray alligator flap pop. Lastly, does it work well on leathers with soft-medium tempers. I’ve used it on heavy veg tan work but not this kind of thing.

I can’t afford to experiment with stuff that “might” work, because if it works on a flat scrap and not on the finished 3-D bag, the whole thing’s wasted. Is there any way to salvage it? I loved the way it turned out and would really appreciate any advice. 

I’d also like to be able to help the tote customer so she’s not stuck with a bag that ruins her clothes. She’s in a different state, so if you have a product in mind that she could buy separately and apply as a non leather worker that’s even better.

Thanks again! 

-Hannah 

I wish I had some advice to share but I'm gonna have to sit back and hope alongside you for a solution. There are tons of knowledge and years of experience on here so if there is an answer I'm sure it'll come along shortly.

Sucks to hear that it happened in the first place :( What a pain.

54 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I wish I had some advice to share but I'm gonna have to sit back and hope alongside you for a solution. There are tons of knowledge and years of experience on here so if there is an answer I'm sure it'll come along shortly.

Sucks to hear that it happened in the first place :( What a pain.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the extra hope :) I’ve got my fingers crossed that someone will come through and save the day. It is definitely a bummer, but we will see. I haven’t given up get. And I guess worst case scenario, I’ll just have to swatch different things and then try and pick the best with what I’ve got. I’ll live and learn I suppose.  Thanks, Battlemunky!

Yes. The resolene will make it shiny and plastic-y. I’m not sure what you could use to seal it, all I have ever heard is buff, buff, buff, until it comes out clean. Think of it as an upper body work-out? I will ask tomorrow, the guys I work with have, between them, almost 100 years of experience.

I think I'd call Horween and explain whats going on and see what they say to use. 1 (773) 772 2026

18 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Yes. The resolene will make it shiny and plastic-y. I’m not sure what you could use to seal it, all I have ever heard is buff, buff, buff, until it comes out clean. Think of it as an upper body work-out? I will ask tomorrow, the guys I work with have, between them, almost 100 years of experience.

That would be great, thank you! I’ll keep buffing and see what happens. I buffed like crazy and it seemed to lessen a little, but then when I went back to that spot it was still coming off on the light colored material. I appreciate it! 

14 minutes ago, JD62 said:

I think I'd call Horween and explain whats going on and see what they say to use. 1 (773) 772 2026

Thank you! I thought of that, but by the time I found out about the issue they’d closed. Dang time zones! I thought I’d ask here too in case anyone had come across the same issue and found a useable solution. I appreciate you taking the time to post the number! :) 

No problem. If you do contact them please let us know what they say.

2 minutes ago, JD62 said:

No problem. If you do contact them please let us know what they say.

Will do!

Okay, I forgot to talk to the guys today, but Renee said that buff, buff, buff is what you do and then seal it with Satin Sheen or other matte finish if you don’t want shiny. She loves her resolene, because it’s water proof. 

1 hour ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Okay, I forgot to talk to the guys today, but Renee said that buff, buff, buff is what you do and then seal it with Satin Sheen or other matte finish if you don’t want shiny. She loves her resolene, because it’s water proof. 

Thanks, Scooby! I’ll give that a try. I might just end up going with resolene for the waterproof element. Maybe I’ll cut it 50/50 with water like some people do on sheaths and holsters? Just thought I should ask for some opinions on softer leathers since I hadn’t tried it. Having it a bit shinier than I had wanted would be better than not being able to sell it at all. I also have an email in to Horween since I forgot to call again before they closed. So I’ll let everyone know if they get back to me either way. I really appreciate your time! :) 

-Hannah

No problem.