Jarednem

how can you make airbrushed dyes penetrate deeper?

I know with airbrushing it only a top dye, so if you scratch the surface you can see the leather below. 

My question is: Is there a way to make the dye soak deeper? Denatured alcohol dissolves fast so if I use isopropyl alcohol, which stays wet longer, to cut my dye would it get deeper penetration due to the fact it will carry the dye longer? 

I would just saturate the leather more while spraying multiple coats.  Eventually, if you keep spraying, it should penetrate much deeper, especially if you don’t let it dry.  Experiment on a smal piece of scrap.

Gary

16 hours ago, garypl said:

I would just saturate the leather more while spraying multiple coats.  Eventually, if you keep spraying, it should penetrate much deeper, especially if you don’t let it dry.  Experiment on a smal piece of scrap.

Gary

2d the scrap trial run, you can only put so much on at once before you end up bronzing or hazing it, then you get to buff all that wasted pigment off and try again.... I've noticed this mostly with dark brown or black.  You could try dampening the leather a little first or use oil dye...

Oil your leather before and after your spraying.  You'll get better penetration, and you can spray heavier coats and not have to worry as much about excess dyestuffs.

awesome, I have some testing to do. Just bought %70 and 91% isopropyl to cut with, and ill definitely try water and oil. thank you garypl, koreric and once again immiketoo thank you for the response

just thought of this...with the oil should it be put on and then immediately be airbrush or wait to soak in evenly and then sprayed?

Let it absorb then spray.  Once you put color on, oil immediately to set the color.

7 hours ago, immiketoo said:

Let it absorb then spray.  Once you put color on, oil immediately to set the color.

Neatsfoot?

Yes, sorry.  Now, to be clear, we're not talking about the depth as if you'd used wool or cloth to apply the dye, but it makes a big difference in the fragility of the sprayed dyes.

36 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Yes, sorry.  Now, to be clear, we're not talking about the depth as if you'd used wool or cloth to apply the dye, but it makes a big difference in the fragility of the sprayed dyes.

I think that's what the OP was after though. Certainly what I was I inquiring about.

On August 16, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Jarednem said:

I know with airbrushing it only a top dye, so if you scratch the surface you can see the leather below. 

My question is: Is there a way to make the dye soak deeper? Denatured alcohol dissolves fast so if I use isopropyl alcohol, which stays wet longer, to cut my dye would it get deeper penetration due to the fact it will carry the dye longer? 

I have this problem too and I have resorted to only airbrush dyeing items that are not subject to wear and tear. My color palette has shrunk significantly but I'd rather apply with a dobber and know my belt can be scratched or the buckle can wear in without the bright white veg underneath showing. 

Edited by howlback

Well, nothing can take the place of dyes applied with wool, and the question was can help the dye soak deeper, not as deep as.  Oiling before and after your dye coats will help improve the durability of the finish beyond just spraying it, but if you want dauber depth you'll have to get good at making even colors and fades sans airbrush.  It can be done, but its not easy.

I guess you can use a dauber and then airbrush to make things look even

Edited by Jarednem

20 hours ago, Jarednem said:

I guess you can use a dauber and then airbrush to make things look even

That doesn't really work.  If its uneven to start, airbrushing will show it.  Unless you go way darker than intended.  Black is the great equalizer :P 

You can always dye with a soak-in penetrating dye using a damp sponge and then airbrushing.  Or apply a heavy protective coat to protect the airbrushed dye from damage.  Or dip dye and then use airbrush for special effects.  Or saturate your leather with alcohol, such as in a baking pan, so it can continue to soak up alcohol while you spray it.  Possibly, casing the leather using dish soap and water, would be worth attempting. 

Part of the snag is how much airbrushed dye is dry before it hits the surface.  Therefore, not absorbed, plus eventually clocks subsequent dye from penetrating.

I would also skip any water-based dye and skip the regular line of dyes and skip to the pro dyes.