KCB346

Dyeing technique

I’ve tried to search the net to avoid asking, but now I must. How does one get theb pooled/woodgrain/streak effect in dyeing or staining?

I don’t know either, but I love seeing it the few pieces I have found! I also love the honeycomb/webbing markings some of the veggie tan has. Does any body know where that comes from as well?

Try this, on Google's search engine put in 

Search site:leatherworker.net wood grain dye

And see what comes up. They do make little brusses/rollers with wood grain on them if that interests you... Otherwise I would think a lightly loaded bristle brush and light strokes would work. Maybe after a base coat and resist of some sort like resolene or mop n glo. 

But if you really want to get people thinking, you could use an airbrush with a... Ahem... Wood grain stencil... Haha. That's almost cheating it's so easy hahaha!

Edited by Northmount
Fixed search parameters

Also, there are Craftaids with woodgrain that you just press into the work and voila, instant woodgrain. The one I have isn't very big though.

This is what I’m looking to accomplish. I hate wasting leather trying things and there is no need to reinvent the wheel when someone knows.

Well that didn’t work. I tried to upload a photo, but it’s too big I guess.

Here it is. Had to crop it.

0CC47084-D3E5-4D33-BAE3-75FCBE79871F.jpeg

4 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Try this, on Google's search engine put in 

Search site: leather worker.net wood grain dye

And see what comes up. They do make little brusses/rollers with wood grain on them if that interests you... Otherwise I would think a lightly loaded bristle brush and light strokes would work. Maybe after a base coat and resist of some sort like resolene or mop n glo. 

But if you really want to get people thinking, you could use an airbrush with a... Ahem... Wood grain stencil... Haha. That's almost cheating it's so easy hahaha!

I use an airbrush, but have never used stencils. Good idea on the wood grain. I’ll try it. Thanks.

That's a cool effect.I can't really say how it was done. But it looks like a brush was used

Yeah, that is quite striking dye work. I am thinking a brush was used as well. No indecisiveness, just load it and go with confidence and whatever comes out of the brush is what you get and that particular "get" is really nice, and the finish on it does it complete justice. I want to dye like that when I grow up!

You can get the same results with a dauber. Load it up, and pass straight lines I get that effect inadvertently when I try to get an even color. Just be sure not overlap the passes too much. And don’t oil the leather before you give a go. 

I’d like to see a video of this technique.

Alright. Sent the video to KCB. Thought I’d share it here. It’s crude cause this ole plow boy ain’t no television feller. Dye was fiebings pro dye cut with denatured alcohol about 2:1. 

Well aint i all silly with my airbrush stencils and paint brushes over here hahaha! 

Thanks for sharing the video. Sometimes Ithinga are simpler than we imagine haha.