JoergFBernhard

Shoe upper leather perforator

Just got my hands on this beauty, gonna pick  it up next week...a leather perforator to punch decorative holes/ patterns in shoe uppers (as used on classic "english" brogue, derby etc.). Brand name is "Ideal",  late 50's I guess. Does anyone know this one or has experience/ manual on hand? There have been similar machines by Peerless, Albeko and USM. 

IMG-20180810-WA0002.jpg

Edited by JoergFBernhard

I can't help you but what a great find!

5 hours ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I can't help you but what a great find!

Haha, thanks!

Very tidy machine Joerg. BUSM used to make a machine of similar purpose (probably at a similar timeframe) to your machine. However they need a thick paper tape into which the machine punches, which hasn't been sold for decades, so I've never bought one. That, and I don't make shoes...

A video of your newly acquired iron beast would be very interesting once you lay hands on it!

7 hours ago, Matt S said:

Very tidy machine Joerg. BUSM used to make a machine of similar purpose (probably at a similar timeframe) to your machine. However they need a thick paper tape into which the machine punches, which hasn't been sold for decades, so I've never bought one. That, and I don't make shoes...

A video of your newly acquired iron beast would be very interesting once you lay hands on it!

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply! As far as I know this one doesn't need that kind of tape. And yes, this one seems in a very nice condition. The owner (an elder lady who ran the factory) told me it was still in use till they shut down their shoe production 10 years ago. Will keep you posted once it's here!

There are still many machines there for sale, they basically locked the factory years ago and everything remained untouched till they started to sell few weeks ago...

IMG_20180819_195105.png

On 19.8.2018 at 12:18 PM, Matt S said:

Hi Matt, I finally hauled the iron beauty to my workshop...it is really in great condition and came with lots of punching tools. I only had to change the plug (sure, clean and oil a bit) and now it runs smoothly! Here some more pics, just I don't know how to upload a video because of the size of the file...

IMG_20180829_141737.png

IMG_20180829_141717.png

1 minute ago, JoergFBernhard said:

Hi Matt, I finally hauled the iron beauty to my workshop...it is really in great condition and came with lots of punching tools. I only had to change the plug (sure, clean and oil a bit) and now it runs smoothly! Here some more pics, just I don't know how to upload a video because of the size of the file...

IMG_20180829_141737.png

IMG_20180829_141717.png

IMG_20180829_141511.png

IMG_20180829_141550.png

Wow.  Can't wait to see a video of it in use.

Wow.  I want one. 

22 hours ago, Pauls Leather said:

Wow.  I want one. 

Hm, not easy to find, seems these are VERY RARE...haven't found ANYTHING on the web, no photo, not even the brandname... I just got lucky, bought this one for EUR 50,00 including all tools...

28 minutes ago, JoergFBernhard said:

Hm, not easy to find, seems these are VERY RARE...haven't found ANYTHING on the web, no photo, not even the brandname... I just got lucky, bought this one for EUR 50,00 including all tools...

Blimey, I'll have to rent a truck I think...

2 hours ago, Matt S said:

Blimey, I'll have to rent a truck I think...

Haha, you need I make an appointment for you at that factory??!

Looking again and thinking about it a bit, I can see all sorts of things being made, not just shoes, with that edge detail. 

55 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

Looking again and thinking about it a bit, I can see all sorts of things being made, not just shoes, with that edge detail. 

That's right, I can see bags and all kind of strappy leather goods using perforation (bracelets, guitar straps)...also there are more punching tools to get a different look and design of the perforated ornaments.

Does it use a Jacquard system of cardboard instructions just like the fairground organs of old

6 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Does it use a Jacquard system of cardboard instructions just like the fairground organs of old

Chris, interesting idea! But no, you use your hands to manoeuvre the leather pieces and press the foot pedal to let the motor move the punching head up and down while the lower transport wheel in the plate moves the pieces forward, very much like a sewing machine. But nice comparison with the fairground organ, I think a similar system had been used for embroidery machines?

Cute as a bug!

That's one cool machine!  Kinda makes me wonder if one could get a cheap old sewing machine and somehow modify it to do much the same thing .... Hmmmmmmmmm

- Bill

I think you probably could for smaller single holes.  The trouble would be the tooling.  A punch to attach to the needle bar and a matching die under it.  A domestic machine probably wouldn't be sturdy enough.

*EDIT* I don't see a matching die under the punch.  Maybe the die isn't needed.  You would still need to figure out where the pieces punched out go and how to space the holes far enough apart.  A standard sewing machine probably wouldn't have a long enough stitch length.

Edited by rodneywt1180b
Not sure original thought would work.