Jarednem

Need Advice!! Possible future retailer inattentive what should I do?

The retailer is a one-man show who basically runs a social media site that is trying to get reputable makers to sell in his web store. When I first got a call from this retailer to sell my product in his store the first-week communications with him didn't miss a beat, I got responses from him less than 10-20 min. Now it takes about 4 days before he even reads my messages. This retailer has a very large social media network and could be great for business but in the run-up to me make products for them I am getting vague responses. I could ask about 5 questions and only getting a response to the last question asked , like he doesn't scroll through the conversation. Granted he is talking to a couple different businesses and he is a busy person and I may have let on the idea that I need him more than he needs me, by being overly excited, which is not the case. I can make just as much money without him than with him, for me its just name recognition. He is in the mode "when I start seeing cash then ill help you". Shouldn't I be getting some type of assurances that this is going to be a good working relationship? I asked him if he would like my facebook & Instagram page and he avoids answering that like the plague, which may not seem like a big deal to many but I only operate on social media so far. I'm just trying to decide if I should go through with it and hope that everything works out, should I make some stipulations before going through with the deal?  Any help is appreciated !! Oh, and a question he asked me before the inattentiveness started was "I want a book what can you do for me?" so I said I would make 2 books for the price of one, I already sent him the first one. just throwing that in there

Edited by Jarednem

It sounds like all of your suspicions are spot on about him. Red flags, especially at this point in your relationship.

Jeff

9 hours ago, Jarednem said:

I can make just as much money without him than with him

I don't understand the problem then. In my business plan when I can say this then the solution is always without. Why are you wasting time on someone or something that won't increase your business?

it will increase business, do to the social media reach he has. what I meant about me making money without him is that my bread and butter is custom work and not retail, but if I pop out a small batches of books at a time granted it will make more money but I would be satisfied without retail as well...its the name recognition that interests me. I could do retail by myself and sell my books fairly easily, but with his reach I would be able to sell them and build up an significant demand . i just fell like he thinks he has me where he wanted me "needing him" and just pushed me to the side for other stuff.

Edited by Jarednem

I think you have answered your own question. I would go with my gut. If your not getting a good feeling about this possible working relationship this early on, it ain't going to get any better. Don't walk away, Run away. Did you get paid for your work or was it a gift? 

kgg

he paid for the first book and now i have to make him the second one, which i haven't started yet

Something given for nothing is worth exactly that, nothing.

So far he has a free book commitment from you and you have nothing.

My understanding is I can pay someone $50 and get all the social media "followers" I want.

I don't do work for anyone else's benefit and I can guarantee you that he will benefit from this more than you will.  I agree with everyone else in that you pretty much know the answer to your question, you just have to decide whether or not to act on that and move on.  And to clear the air on the idea of Social Media, it is not the big business boon that it is made out to be; it is just another place for people to go and "kick the tires" to see what is out there but it doesn't really result in huge increases of revenue or profit unless you have a bunch of money to dump into the platform marketing campaigns (and those don't really net an increase of income, they just result in more "followers" who don't buy).

Everyone thank you for your responses!!! I really appreciate it!!! I have some thinking and probing to do... 

What size of sales are you expecting from this person, if its just the odd one or two and he is expanding his business, then are you expecting to much from him

Retailers often try new products and get a bit carried away with expected sales numbers or only have a couple of suppliers so are desperate to get more in to widen their scope of products, they have time to talk and may even bend over backwards to get you onboard

Then the next supplier and so on comes along and business grows, not enough time in the day even working well into the night. end result no time for the guy with only a few sales, but more time for company who 's sales pay his wages

Could be totally wrong

Hope you solve it and get great sales