DanDSilva

Can I make a molded hat visor rain-resistant?

Hello.

I'd like to make an all-leather Greek fisherman-style cap.  So to keep it simple, I figure the crown would be made of chrome-tanned garment leather and the visor would be molded from some lightweight veg-tan I have on hand, and dyed black to match the rest of the cap with some Fiebing's which I also have (I'm going to try to buy the garment leather already dyed).

My questions being:

Is the design overall going to do okay in the rain as long as I let it dry overnight or longer when I get home?

Is there a finish I can put on the visor so it'll remain at least a bit flexible, won't soften and deform in the rain, and the dye won't rub off?

Thanks in advance.

Seal the dye with several coats of diluted Resolene. Then apply several coats of Snow Proof paste. Even apply some soft bees wax and buff it in. Then it will be rain-shower resistant, but not totally rain proof, it will never be that

Well, I'm not really concerned about completely waterproofing it, so long as it holds its shape and the dye doesn't run.

What is Resolene like to work with?  I take it that if you can add conditioners afterward, it must leave the surface permeable rather than forming a solid surface film.  Does it tend to stiffen the leather?  How does it compare to Leather Sheen?

Should've mentioned before:  I currently have Sof Sole Leather Lube, Wright leather conditioner with mink oil, and some old Kiwi Wet-Pruf that's dried up to the point that it has a texture like beeswax.  Would any of these be useful, or should I get Snow Proof instead?  I also have a block of pure beeswax.

So, what I've found over the last few years is that these visors don't really need molding as long as the inner edge is just concave enough.  When it's stitched into place, it'll assume a downward curl naturally.  Here's an early attempt:

leather+cap+revised.JPG

This one has a less concave inner edge, so it curls down more:

wheel+hat+exterior.jpg

As far as the finish goes, I think just an oily/waxy water-resistant finish that's still flexible is preferable to a hard acrylic finish that might crack when creased.  The first one is made with some Crazy Crow blacksmith side leather; the second is just light/midweight veg-tan with oil, Sno Seal and conditioner.

Edited by DanDSilva

As far as the finish goes, I think just an oily/waxy water-resistant finish that's still flexible is preferable to a hard acrylic finish that might crack when creased.  The first one is made with some Crazy Crow blacksmith side leather; the second is just light/midweight veg-tan with oil, Sno Seal and conditioner.

anything for waterproofing leather shoes or boots will work.