Johanna

Semper Fi My Marine

This week I'm going to pick up my Marine from Parris Island for his short leave before combat school. Bear with me if I'm slow with my messages, please. I'm 2 sleeps from my 758 mile trip to get this kid I've missed for 13 weeks. His dad went to PI in 1968, and he'd be so pleased with this kid now.  I've never met a Marine who wasn't proud to be one. I would love to hear your military stories. God bless our veterans.

jacksand.jpg

You often don't see it yourself but from the outside its amazing how a few weeks in training can change a group of individuals into a team who all want to look out for the weakest member and help them along

Maybe a dose of National Service would be good for all teenagers these days who seem totally lost

Congrats, Jo!  That's an awesome achievement and I'm glad you're a proud mom!

Congratulations on having another Marine in the family!  I went to Marine boot camp in 1969 and came out a changed person.  Chrisash is spot on in mentioning that you learn to work as a team and many of your fellow Marines become as close as family.  Semper fi!

Gary

Congratulations!!!!!!!

My mother was a "boot pusher" in the Women Marines in WWII, at Camp Lejune. She had two birthdays for all of my life, hers, and the Marines. My younger brother pushed boots from Paris Island. So did his wife. Again, two birthdays. Whatever else happens in your life, they can't take that away from you.

Semper Fi!

Jeff

(Coast Guard...go figure!)

Congratulations, Johanna! 

My mom was 34 years in the Canadian military, first with the CWAC, then joined a regular (reserve) unit when they allowed women to do so. She went on to become the first female officer in its history. You might say I'm just a little bit proud of her... B)

Semper Fi Jo! He's certainly gonna be glad to see his momma. And cheeseburgers. They had a Burger King right down from 2nd Battalion chow hall when I was there back in '94. If the wind was blowing the wrong way, we could smell it. We dreamed of cheeseburgers. Not until graduation day did we ever see the BK though. We missed our mommas too :) 

Thank your son for me..... I welcome him to our brotherhood. Once a marine always a marine, some are on active duty, some in reserve and the rest just getting older. My son just went over the three year mark in the marine corps and is on Embassy duty in Tajikistan.

Congrats to your son. Got a letter from my daughter today. She is being medically discharged. 5 weeks into Army Basic, stress fractures in both knees,both ankles, one foot, shin splints, pink eye, bronchitis and a messed up Achilles. She is tougher than I am. She wanted to go on but they said because of the Achilles it’s a no go. She was going for Combat Engineer. BTW she is 5’3 109lbs. Lol

With that list of problems, it had to have been that hornets nest inside her keeping her going. Sucks for her but glad you're getting your kid back home @Mattsbagger. My son joined the Navy a year and a few months ago and I miss that shithead everyday! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for some nice and mild medical disqualifiers...

Johanna, how is your Jarhead doing? What is his MOS?

He's doing well. Next week he flies to his MOS school. He's going to be an MP. :gun:

Good to hear!

Guessing he was at Camp Devildog in NC, yeah? Combat training was pretty fun, guessing he just went through that. Shooting really cool guns and making things blow up. I went during the winter and we froze pretty bad, didn't sleep much. A few grueling forced marches, some advanced land nav, and some boring simulated wars. Basically it was a lesson in how to stay awake when not being allowed to get rest and walking long distances with your feet bleeding.

Let him know there are people out there rooting for him that he's never even met! Semper Fi!

Exactly. And then Florence, so they canceled graduation ceremonies and did a lot of work detail. He seems to have made a few Marine friends of the female persuasion, and has one doing his laundry, so I don't think he's suffering much. Thank you for the good wishes! Semper Fi!

Men amongst men

Battlemunky,

He arrived in MO yesterday at a large Army base for his MOS training. He said that they (Marines) have to do more PT and dress sharper than their Army peers because, well, you know, they are US MARINES and the difference must be immediately evident or he's in trouble. I love the USMC. They have class, style and they're deadly. Semper Fi!

I agree with everything you said. However, if I'm being fair, I do work for the army and I go to a lot of army bases, and the army seems to take care of their people far better than I was ever taken care of. I yelled at the folks below me and was yelled at by the folks above me quite regularly. We were always made to feel like as good as we were was never good enough. It was rare to receive praise. I see the army guys actually being human to one another. It makes me wonder if all the angst and nit picking and needling that Jarheads constantly do to one another is needed to have Marines. Maybe that is part of the recipe?  In retrospect, I'd have likely stayed in if it wasn't so hostile all the time.

I wouldn't change it for the world but I sure would've appreciated being able to relax a bit and enjoy all the coolness....I mean, I haven't blown anything up in years.

Edited by battlemunky

I yelled at the folks below me and was yelled at by the folks above me quite regularly. We were always made to feel like as good as we were was never good enough. It was rare to receive praise.

So just like regular corporate America job!   :P

Sorta, but the yelling meant so much more than it does now. :)